Keeping a Lively young lab quiet????

Options
I have had my 11 month old lab spayed and the vet has said no jumping, offlead etc until stitches out. She only had the operation Monday morning but is boinging round as if nothing has happened :eek: She is constantly trying to play with our older lab (not sure whether this is allowed) and I keep having to shout at her to stop running around. If I let her in the garden she just starts running around trying to play chase me. Does she run the risk of ripping the stitches out?

Someone suggested throwing her kibble on the lawn so she uses her brain to find it, but unfortunately I weeded and feeded the lawn at the weekend so wouldn't think that was a good idea either. :o
Just keep swimming!

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://secure.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_10/features/Restrictive-Activity-Canine_15657-1.html

Have you done any clicker training with her before? If not, now could be a great time to introduce it. Get onto Kikopup's Youtube channel, aquaint yourself with clicker training if it's a new thing to you/her, and then get started on the less physically demanding tricks. Mental exercise can be just as tiring as physical exercise! Do keep sessions short and sweet so she doesn't end up frustrated, e.g. 6 lots of 5 minutes throughout the morning can be better than a solid 30 minutes that might end with her bored or wound up.
    www.youtube.com/kikopup
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Just so you know you're not alone ...... Maisie is on short, lead walks for the next 2 weeks - good news is that she's obviously feeling better ... bad news is she's full of beans and pelts around the house at any excuse - and as for letting her out in the garden, I've had to resort to the lead for that too!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    Keeping a lab quiet. Hmmm Good luck with that.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I don't usually post in this section, but had the same problem with my year old Lurcher recently. I had a chat with my vet when I took her in for her post op check ( 2 days after op) and was advised to walk her as much as she wanted - on the lead of course, as it's better for them to walk than go charging around! it did the trick and she had no problems at all :D so I'd have a chat to your vet about it, if she's up for a decent walk there really shouldn't be a problem.
  • chatbug
    chatbug Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Not easy keeping a lab quiet especially a 11 month puppy. I also have the same problem Oscar is 8 months just had an operation to remove a growth. Was not even aloud to take him on short lead walks. Best of luck. Picture of his poorly leg.2012-07-14114212.jpg
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    I had the same problem with my boxer pup, have you tried a kong or a kong wobbler to keep her occupied? Saying this, it only kept her quiet for a little while, the rest of the time she was hare-ing about as if nothing had happened. You just have to stick with it Im afraid.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Awwww chatbug poor wee lamb .... wishing him a speedy recovery
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take advantage of the Lab appetite too - frozen Kongs are time consuming and probably well appreciated in this weather! Be wary of causing weight gain given the lack of exercise but you can feed them all their meals in a Kong so it occupies them for longer than 30 seconds in a bowl. Dry kibble can be soaked in water then frozen solid, wet food again can be crammed inside. Aside from meals, make some 'diet' snacks - e.g. blend up some vegetables, add a little flavour (fish, wet dog food, cream cheese, etc) to make it more tempting. Or stick the Kong upright in a mug and fill with a homemade stock - simmer a bone (chicken wing, lamb spine, ribs, etc) in a pan and use the water to fill the Kong. Once frozen, it's a meat flavoured popsicle. If you go down this route, you may want to make sure you're around to remove it if it starts defrosting too quickly though, or it could make a real mess.
  • chatbug
    chatbug Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Awwww chatbug poor wee lamb .... wishing him a speedy recovery
    Thanks rising first walk this morning so well on the mend.
    Itsadogdlife hope your pup is staying nice and calm and is ok.
  • Itsadogslife_2
    Options
    Well I think I am failing miserably. Keeping as quiet as possible but went back to the vets yesterday as there is a rather large half a grapefruit sized swelling under the stitches. The vet had a good feel and has put her on antibiotics. The wound was weepy yesterday though when we got home but they were poking and prodding at her a lot.

I have not let her do ANYTHING today :o She is quite a sensitive soul and doesn't seem to appreciate me shouting "no running" after her constantly :o Hopefully the antibiotics will kick anything untoward into touch :A
    Just keep swimming!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport