Marketing?!

We are hoping to start up a new venture within the next six months, have visited various shops to enquire about webistes. however, it quickly became apparent that we had entered the world of marketing where we were being sold everything from letterheads to cups with our logo on.

Being told throughout how small time we were unles we spent 5k on marketing- they would cold call, push us to the peak. It was all very full on- all three companies sisnt seem to pause for breath between the sales pitch.

My husband and I are going to push our business as far as we can ourselves. I just wondered what your guys opinions are of these marketing shops... am I on my own in thinking that they dont do anything you couldnt do for yourself... or does there coma a point when a business needs a marketing company involved?
" a life we could only dream of "
Dreaming is a pointless exercise if it only serves to reinforce your own limitations.
For my familys sake I no longer dream, I will plan and I will try and if I fail I will try and try again.
Failing is far better than dreaming. :)

Comments

• the cheapest we quote we have is 350 for 5 page website- not ecommerce. 80 punds per every 1 hour of updating following that. Does this sound reasonable? Are we looking in the wrong places?
    " a life we could only dream of "
    Dreaming is a pointless exercise if it only serves to reinforce your own limitations.
    For my familys sake I no longer dream, I will plan and I will try and if I fail I will try and try again.
    Failing is far better than dreaming. :)
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    These guys sound like sharks but for a more general discussion on marketing...

What is your business model? Do you have a high level of fixed costs i.e. do you have premises and staff etc? If you need to hit the ground running to cover the overheads then marketing is essential, although there might be better ways to go about it.

If you can start small and grow from there with low overheads then you can build over time instead of spend silly amounts of money on marketing.

BTW as I mention probably far too often, there is a huge difference between actively marketing your business and throwing money at advertising your business.
  • Chai_2
    Chai_2 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Hey,

Please dont spend that money on the website as it will bleed you dry. ANY website you get INSIST that it is done on wordpress as you have total control over everything and can change the whole look and design on the site in seconds and update it yourself.

It really depends on what type of business you are running but i do believe there is a need to have help with your marketing as most people think they know how to market but the world has changed since the branded tea cups.

give us an idea with the type of business you are aiming to run and a rough idea of what type of marketing you had planned so we can help further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure