Biting/attacking cat; new behaviour

Options
My 6/7 year old Tom cat seems to have started biting and attacking me.

He's an only indoor cat for the last 13 months, has quite a few toys around, but is quite a lazy cat really. In the last couple of weeks he's started to randomly attack me. He'll seek me out to do this, or he'll come for some thing, then just turn around and bit/grab you with claws.

I fast recognise just before he'll go for me, but can't seem to distract enough with just voice (NO!) or move away. He is telling me, or asking for something, but I don't know what. His litterbox is clean, he has water, biscuits and meat, but still wants something.

I will take him to the vet I think, if only for a check up. What can I ask for them to check for?
What else could've triggered this behaviour?

He always has been my "baby" but never a pick up and cuddle cat. He instigates fusses, not anyone else. But if he comes to me now, in seconds I can start to fuss him, but he'll have me!
Starting to make me wary of him, allowing him next to me or having him jump up on laps :-(

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    static electricity? worms biting?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need to ask the vet for anything specific, just explain the change of behaviour. Maybe he is bored/ attention seeking now he is alone indoors - most cat toys are 'dead' whereas a playmate or prey are moving. Maybe get him some toys that move like prey or intelligence puzzles, then rotate them so there is something new regularly?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    He's been done, and de-wormed and flea'd about 5 weeks ago due to cattery 3 day stop.

He has a laser interactive toy, several yeeow cat nip toys, track toys, scratching posts, random little toys, and a new teaser toy, so I don't think he's bored. I did discover a random thing. He was in time out after a munching on mummy session (shut out of bedroom, free range elsewhere) . When I let himback in after about 10 mins, he came up on bed, went all mardy again, then went and laid next to me purring non-stop. But not a good purr, maybe. He wasn't impressed if I fussed him so I didn't, and had that pre-attack mode going.

Going to borrow some feliway to try, and get a vet booked. He went about 6 months ago, all fine, good weight and condition.
  • KateLiana27
    KateLiana27 Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    Feliway and vet sound like a good idea.

Our indoor cat only gets a bit bitey when he's bored and we haven't played with him enough. He's just exercising his natural hunting instincts. We take it as our cue to get the toys out and play with him so he can take out his aggression on the chaser toy etc instead! He's fine after that.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any sudden behavioural change warrants some investigation at the vet IMO. Are there any physical changes recently that you've put down to "one of those things"? Worth noting down, e.g. any weight loss or gain, change in coat condition, appetite, activity levels and so on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure