conservatory companies

Options
The missus has decreed that we're getting a conservatory. So far we've had quotes from Select Conservatories (6.5-7k) Windows 2000 (7-8k) and DWS (10-11k) The DWS guy wasn't very flattering about Select suggesting poor quality and workmanship (which imho isn't very professional). Anyone used any of the above or any other recommendations?

Comments

• dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ooo000ooo wrote: »
    The missus has decreed that we're getting a conservatory. So far we've had quotes from Select Conservatories (6.5-7k) Windows 2000 (7-8k) and DWS (10-11k) The DWS guy wasn't very flattering about Select suggesting poor quality and workmanship (which imho isn't very professional). Anyone used any of the above or any other recommendations?

If it is the same Select as in SFG then I would not reccomend them as I had aftersales problems with them that were only resolved after writing to the directors at their home address! DWS should not have slagged off another company either! Anyhow ask them for recent jobs in your area and ask the customers. Don't be shy because if someone asked me about a recent job I would be more than happy to give my opinion good or bad.
    Dave
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    We got DWS's name from a guy up round the corner who had a conservatory put up recently, the missus knocked on his door and asked him who he'd dealt with. She was impressed with how warm it was, he had got them in on recommendation of his sister who'd got them on recommendation of someone else. Was the SFG guy an english bloke? Geordie accent?
  • Belfastfemale_3
    Options
    I would stick with Windows 2000 - they are very reliable (used to work in the double glazing industry) - if you want to PM me your details my brother in law also does conservatories and has a good reputation. :-)
    :T Member 194 of the Norn Iron club :T
  • harvey1964
    harvey1964 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    ooo000ooo wrote: »
    We got DWS's name from a guy up round the corner who had a conservatory put up recently, the missus knocked on his door and asked him who he'd dealt with. She was impressed with how warm it was, he had got them in on recommendation of his sister who'd got them on recommendation of someone else. Was the SFG guy an english bloke? Geordie accent?

Would not recommend DWS my sister had to take them to court.the base of my sisters conservatory was not level and when it rained the water was running into it causing severe problems with mould etc .They eventually had to fix it.
    In saying that had a quote recently off Windows 2000 and they were most expensive by £700 and it was only a terreace hose i was getting them for.
    its hit and miss.
  • tee_3
    tee_3 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would strongly recommend Budget Conservatories in Bangor - went through the same process as you a couple of years ago, and Budget were my best quote by a way. Their workmanship was excellent, and they came afterwards to replace a window without quibble when I noticed a small defect. The name 'Budget' I have to admit actually put me off them at first as it doesn't imply the right quality image!!
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I would stick with Windows 2000 - they are very reliable (used to work in the double glazing industry) - if you want to PM me your details my brother in law also does conservatories and has a good reputation. :-)

Windows 2000 did our patio doors, we had to get them back to fix a drainage problem because their fitters had covered the drainage bits at the bottom of the frames. They also filled our bin with rubble to the point were i couldn't move it and we have a draught coming in the top which we're waiting for them to come out and repair. We haven't ruled them out yet as they assured us they weren't using those fitters anymore and we're waiting to see what the problem is with the door.
  • Belfastfemale_3
    Options
    Once you have had a team of bad fitters thats it!!!! And I have seen fitters filling bins with more than just rubble if you get what I mean. Good luck in your quest.
    :T Member 194 of the Norn Iron club :T
  • belfast_child
    Options
    what size conservatory are you building? i used a local guy in newtownards called paul donaghy who had built our garage and who did a mega job on mine. its 20ft x 14ft and cost me around 11k. my neighbour also used him and is also very happy too with his . check out the smaller ppl, they care more!!
    member number 240 in da norn irn club

:beer: :beer:
  • mr.roboto
    mr.roboto Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Could you supply details for the bloke you mention, belfast_child? We're in Newtownards and a local contact would be really handy. Thanks!
  • deskhead141172
    Options
    although the smaller builder may care more,he also has to buy his products at a premium as he is not striking deals all the time as a major buyer.this in turn means he would buy a far less quality product to make it look like your getting a good deal..also,try getting these guys back to do remedial work when the problems start arising!!!!
    i would go for a reputable company and get at least 3 quotes!!!!!!
    both my neighbours had conservatories and windows fitted by a company proclad in newtownabbey..they were sitting in the conservatory in 8 weeks from start to finish and i seen little mess for such a big conservatory...must be 26ft by 14ft at least
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure