Kitten peeing on wires

Options
Hello. :)

My first post on this part of the board.:o

We have a kitten who is approximately 15 weeks old. We got her when she was 8 weeks old.

She is litter trained and was litter trained by the people we got her from.

However, today she has urinated behind the TV where the wires are. This is the first time this has happened but we want to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

She is generally a very playful kitten and hasn't had any accidents before. She did get her first vaccinations yesterday and we were wondering if that might have had something to do with it? She was very nervous, understandably.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop her from doing it again, and also how to clean the floor properly so that she doesn't think that's the place to go if she can smell it?
I've heard that biological washing powder and water is good but we've never had to do this before.:o

Apologies for the long post.:o
2019 Wins
1/25

£2019 in 2019
£10/£2019

Comments

• ac085
    ac085 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Cats have a very good sense of smell - If you can't smell the odour anymore chances are the cat still can. So you will need to clean it really well.
    Odours that some cats don't like can also be useful to deter them from that spot. Citrus is one that has worked for me - but each cat is different.

There are products that you can use to help with masking/getting rid of the smell but I haven't tried them before so can't comment on them. I'm sure there will be other people around to comment on that.

Also it's worth noting my kittens have had accidents when they are just having a fussy day with their litter tray and I hadn't cleaned a wee up within minutes. Other days they aren't fussed by a wee or two in their trays.

(Welcome to being a Catslave)
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can try bio washing powder or can buy an enzyme based cleaner from the pet store. Do you have more than one litter tray and is at least one in a quiet, private place? I wonder if your kitten went behind the TV because it is 'safe'.

That is quite late for her first vaccinations and quite early to have left mum?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Hillbilly1
    Hillbilly1 Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would check the area regularly. The heating up and cooling down of electrical equipment can smell like cats urine to cats so if she may go there again.

It is probably just a one-off as she has been out to the vets.

8 weeks isn't too young to be away from Mum, much debate rages about this but many think 6 weeks better as they go through the development stage of fear from 7 weeks and better to do this the new environment.
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hillbilly1 wrote: »
    8 weeks isn't too young to be away from Mum, much debate rages about this but many think 6 weeks better as they go through the development stage of fear from 7 weeks and better to do this the new environment.

Many who? The RSPCA certainly don't think they should leave the queen so young.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport