Best Area to live in NI (Property Value vs. General Quality of Life)?

Options

Comments

• warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    GlynD wrote: »
    I see exactly what you are driving at and I agree, there are loads of houses around at the moment which suit your budget. It depends on certain things as you know. Ethnicity is still important in some areas which might otherwise seem ok. Do you have kids, need schools?

My own view would be to get away from the Newry/border area. It's too busy, and too much unsavoury stuff going on there. I'd be inclined to advise you to look around Banbridge or Dromara, these areas have similar housing values. Banbridge has the same access to motorways etc that Newry has but it's a lot less busy yet with all it has most of the same shops. Great houses there and quite a friendly wee town. Quick access to other neighbouring towns too like Portadown, Lurgan, Armagh, Lisburn plus all the little villages and their excellent restaurants to explore.

PM me if you have any other considerations.

GlynD,

See OP's original comment of;
    "Not one of the extremely Unionist or Nationalist Areas (which can be quite intimidating to outsiders like us)."
    ....and your proposing Banbridge while throwing Portadown, Lurgan and Armagh into the mix as neighbouring towns...... :rotfl::rotfl: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm wouldn't be high up my list and I'm in the process of getting the h3ll out of Craigavon !!:rotfl:
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Oaklands, the Brambles, and Farm lodge developments in Newtownabbey/Greenisland might have some in your price range. Nice house, close to belfast, mixed ish, good schools.
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 July 2012 at 12:34PM
    Options
    For a 4/5 Bedroom detached........ :rotfl: you having a laugh... I know property is on a slump but I doubt you'll get a detached 4/5 bedroom house for that money in a decent area with good schools..... Sorry but if you removed the "decent area with good schools" you may have more luck

Plenty of 4 bedroom houses in lovely areas in the north west with great schools of all denominations including integrated primary and secondary. First and so far only 100% fibre optic city in the UK and of course the first UK city of culture next year too :T

I know for a lot of you on here think the world ends at the Sandy Knowles :o but you can easily pick up a 4 bed detached with garden and extras for under £130,000
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    GlynD,

See OP's original comment of;
    "Not one of the extremely Unionist or Nationalist Areas (which can be quite intimidating to outsiders like us)."
    ....and your proposing Banbridge while throwing Portadown, Lurgan and Armagh into the mix as neighbouring towns...... :rotfl::rotfl: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm wouldn't be high up my list and I'm in the process of getting the h3ll out of Craigavon !!:rotfl:

Banbridge is a very mixed, peaceful area. I suggested the neighbouring towns and villages as shopping areas or places where you'd find restaurants. I wasn't suggesting they move to Tullygally!
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    OP - it you are looking around the Newry area,

I would look at Newcastle (very mixed area, pleasant town), although busy in the summer with lots of Belfast people on their summer holidays.
    There are also a number of good primary and secondary schools in the area, included an integrated primary and secondary school, as while as various catholic primarys, grammars and secondary, and of course the state (or so called Protestant) schools as well.
    You could also look into the sorrounding areas, Castlewellan, Dundrum etc.

Banbridge isn't a bad area, but personally I wouldn't choose to live in it.

I would tend to stay away from the following areas, South Armagh, Kilkeel, Lurgan, Portadown.

If you look further afield, try Fermanagh for cheaper house prices, or the North West (Derry etc - although I would consider what particular area of Derry). South Derry would be preferable to the city - Maghera, Magherafelt etc.

Good luck in the search
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    GlynD wrote: »
    ....... I wasn't suggesting they move to Tullygally!

I don't think anyone could be that nasty !! :rotfl::rotfl:
    Mind you they could try Parkmore or even Burnside with all that nice open space there :-)
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »
    Plenty of 4 bedroom houses in lovely areas in the north west .....

You suggesting they move West of the Bann..... Are you MAD..... That's where the wild things live ! :rotfl:
    First and so far only 100% fibre optic city in the UK and of course the first UK city of culture next year too :T

Yeah but it's Derry !!!! OK if you want your kids growing up with a speech impediment and looking like an Umpa Lumpa when they go out on a saturday night !! Come on you know what I mean !! :rotfl:
  • martinchris
    Options
    I think you should contact a local property agent. He can help you well in finding your required property.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of 4 bedroom houses in lovely areas in the north west with great schools of all denominations including integrated primary and secondary. First and so far only 100% fibre optic city in the UK and of course the first UK city of culture next year too :T

I know for a lot of you on here think the world ends at the Sandy Knowles :o but you can easily pick up a 4 bed detached with garden and extras for under £130,000

So true, and some of the best schools around. I don't even live there.
  • neilem
    neilem Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very few giving recommendations to the "best areas to live" question. OP would need ideas for places and then he can investigate further (regarding budget and whatnot)... but plucking random areas out of nowhere himself is hardly any good.

And someone suggested to ask the local EA? I wouldn't even ask them for directions...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure