MSE News: Revealed: Hidden hotel charges that bamboozle holidaymakers

"Hotel bookers have been warned to beware hidden fees as many websites fail to disclose all charges upfront..."

Replies

• Some heavy plugging of Travelsupermarket in that article!
    When clicking to it via Trivago, for the same room on the same dates, it came up with a lower 'total price' of £2,113, but with a note in smaller font saying "service charge (10%) not included". This makes the real price £2,325, yet this is not made clear.

2113 + 10% = 2325, how is that not clear?
  • jpsartrejpsartre Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haha, I guess it's not clear if you can't do math and don't know how to use a calculator :)
  • jrrowleywsjrrowleyws Forumite
    642 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Some heavy plugging of Travelsupermarket in that article!

Since they are part of Moneysupermarket and MSE is now owned by them I think it will become more common.

MSE isnt going to stay the same for long now its a complete commercial venture.

Aside from that the article doesnt really have much power to it... the charges are pretty obvious.
  • stonemanstoneman Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jrrowleyws wrote: »
    Since they are part of Moneysupermarket and MSE is now owned by them I think it will become more common.

MSE isnt going to stay the same for long now its a complete commercial venture.

Aside from that the article doesnt really have much power to it... the charges are pretty obvious.
    Childish and without foundation. If you don't like it shut the door on your way out. Byeeee:T:rotfl:
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • exel1966exel1966 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    stoneman wrote: »
    Childish and without foundation. If you don't like it shut the door on your way out. Byeeee:T:rotfl:

I think the poster is entitled to their opinion without recourse and being labelled childish.

It's inevitable there will be an alliance between the sites, that's part n parcel of the tie-up which will evolve the many sites into something different from what we see today. The ethos may not change, but the sites will have to move with the times.

As for the article, it's another case of an MSE sensationalised non-story.
  • stonemanstoneman Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    exel1966 wrote: »
    I think the poster is entitled to their opinion without recourse and being labelled childish.

It's inevitable there will be an alliance between the sites, that's part n parcel of the tie-up which will evolve the many sites into something different from what we see today. The ethos may not change, but the sites will have to move with the times.

As for the article, it's another case of an MSE sensationalised non-story.

So "without recourse" you mean I am not allowed to challange an unfounded statements?
    BTW I agree that the story is pants
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the note about 10% service charge was in a smaller font.
  • HooloovooHooloovoo Forumite
    1.3K Posts

I think the point is it is not clear if you don't notice the small print saying there is an additional 10% charge that is not included.
  • George_MichaelGeorge_Michael Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Childish and without foundation.

What I find more childish is adults who use expressions such as
    BTW I agree that the story is pants
  • thelawnetthelawnet Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The story is a very reasonable one.

I try and compare hotel prices across different websites and it's very tricky, because some sites quote much lower prices but then add on booking fees and taxes. Others add on only taxes while others quote inclusive prices. How are you supposed to work out which one is cheapest? (Ok yes you can go through the steps to find out the true cost, but it's time-consuming to do so.)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion