someone coming to do assesment on house for bedroom tax

Options

Comments

• lighting_up_the_chalice
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    any disabled person would.
    those 'less fortunate' are also in a position to better themselves, and that is something that people like myse;fare not able to do.

David Blunkett seems to do OK, as did Harriett Tubman, Monet, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Helen Keller, Milton, Degas and even Eros. You only limit yourself by imposing your own limitations.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i domt limit myself at all. but try telling that to potential employers .....
  • lighting_up_the_chalice
    Options
    i domt limit myself at all. but try telling that to potential employers .....

I appreciate that it's difficult, very difficult, for those with disabilities to thrive in the workplace, and I thank my lucky stars that I have my sight. But to say that a whole group of people are not able to better themselves is defeatist, and the surest way to guarantee that they don't.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    our cganves of having a productive and financially viable future are much less than people without additiona problems.
    even fit, healthy, experienced people are struggling to find employmenr ... so what chanve do we reallistically jave?

and then to top it off, our benefit is vut because there are no 1 beftppmed properties.

none of our problems is of our own making... we HAD no choice to have the disabilities we have and yet you think we should be happy just because we have social housing.... eben if it costs us 10% of our already meagre income. ( yes i am very grateful to have social housing.... but would have been just as happy with a 1 bed and now im being penalised for something i can do nothing about)

sorry for the rant, but it does annoy me when people say all under occupiers have any choice at all as to where they live!
  • Lou76
    Lou76 Posts: 428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You clearly feel hard done by, complaining about someone else's circumstances when they clearly don't effect you. If you can't afford a big enough house, have you considered applying for social housing? Or getting a better job? Or just working harder?

Am I missing something here? I so, could someone please correct me?

What's the difference between someone in a Council House having to pay more, from their income, to pay the difference in rent/HB to subsidise their over occupancy, than someone in a mortgaged house paying out more due to interest rates/partner moving out etc?

The "Well get a better paid job" isn't exclusive to either group, as far as I can see. However, on this thread it has used as a stick to beat the homeowners with.

Does owning, albeit via mortgage, give you more chance of getting a better paid job - assuming any exist in the area you're tied to - unless you can sell up?

I recently had to sell up (due to constant maintenance costs trying to maintain an old building, which I could no longer afford), and was shocked at how much it cost me just to sell - and that was sold via a private sale (I was one of the lucky ones) so no estate agent fees/ the cost of tarting the place up (hadn't been painted for years, was looking really tired/grubby) just to get it on the market etc.

The costs just for homebuyer report, umpteen different reports of which I can't remember what they were called, lawyers fees... All in, I had almost £3000 in upfront fees to find, before I could even think about selling up.

As I said, that was without Estate Agents, and the cost of redecoration (without which - nobody would even have viewed it on the open market, let alone put in an offer).

So, it's not as easy for homeowners to just up sticks & move either, hence many have to make do regardless.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    tbh i would move, so hopefully they may move me to the area i would like to live,
    anyway, thanks for the quick reply.

Sign up for this site. If you are lucky, your HA will be a subscriber and it will be free for you.

http://www.homeswapper.co.uk/

You will almost certainly be able to downsize - it's people looking for bigger houses who struggle.

Don't rely on the council to do it for you as they will only put you on their internal swap list.
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2012 at 3:47PM
    Options
    David Blunkett seems to do OK, as did Harriett Tubman, Monet, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Helen Keller, Milton, Degas and even Eros. You only limit yourself by imposing your own limitations.

Monet was already a well known and successful painter, and importantly, did not have to convince employers that he should be hired -- he was not "employed".

Helen Keller's family was well-connected and wealthy and also, she did not have to convince employers that she should be hired -- she was not "employed".

Harriet Tubman never had to convince employers that she should be employed, she was a slave, then she worked for an employer -- the Union Army -- that didn't turn people down.

Degas' family was fairly wealthy, he was already a well-known artist, -- etc. as above.

John Milton's parents were wealthy. He was born in 1608, he was well known and well connected by the time he went blind. However, he died in poverty. Also, etc. as above.

Eros?
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    thats really harsh. so they should move now and then have to move again in 3 years when they need 3 bedrooms?

which means the associated costs of moveing as well as having to buy new florring * chances are the flooring they have now wont fit.

and what about people that need 1 bed properties that arent available?

oh yes ... rent pribately and cos even more in LHA, along side having NO real security.... great idea!

why would they take their flooring with them?
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2012 at 10:32AM
    Options
    aw right, so the likes of one old person living in a 3 bed council house on their own isnt???????

at the end of the day i think if you have differnet sex children they should have their own room from about the age of 6.

once my little one gets to school full time i will be getting a mortgage and wont need a council house!!! because i dont want to live off the government for the rest of my life, but unlike you it seems your just waiting to be handed out left right and centre!!! so dont accuse me of blocking other people when you obviously dont want to get a mortgage and want to stay in your council house that you could be blocking a family to have!!!

you must have saving to afford this mortgage then and expect to find a job easily.

My partner lived in a 5 bed house, where there were 11 people so all shared but one till they moved out. 2 rooms were tiny box rooms. They managed.
  • kirstycobie
    kirstycobie Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    debrag wrote: »
    you must have saving to afford this mortgage then and expect to find a job easily.

ive got a job acutally but cant do any more than 16 hours until the little one is in school full time due to having no one to pick her up from nursery on a morning, so i work a saturday and sunday. and couldnt afford to take her out of school nursery and put her into a private nursery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure