We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New Lawn Damaged, Please Help!

Options
Hi all
I have a problem. We moved into a new house six weeks ago. The garden was a jungle and since then we have it all re done. We had a local gardening company come and rotervated the soil and lay new turf. The turf grew to at least 5inchs in no time but due to the weather been so wet I was unable to cut the grass down a bit.
When my dad came the other day he brought his push mower and his electric Flymo 300. The push mower wouldn't touch it so he used the Flymo. Sadly it has cut to low and you can see the grass shoots on the lawn in some places. I know you are supposed to cut the lawn on the highest setting at first but due to error he has cut it to short.

Will it come back if I can keep watering it with a splinkler every night for 30mins? Local garden centre told me not to put any feed or anything like that on it.
Im a bit worried and confused what to do for the best.

Thank you for any advice/help given

Comments

• levis2891
    levis2891 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    we had our lawn laid last year and the same thing happened to us, although we were delayed mowing due to weather and waiting for new mower to arrive (rain, then a whole lot of sun). when we eventually did mow the long grass on medium setting it was all yellow due to no light getting to it. week after week we would mow due to growth but it still looked patchy/yellow in places but this year after fully establishing its really looking good and healthy.

anyway, as the weathers still wet at times you shouldn't worry your grass will be fine. as it has grown since being laid it should be okay.

as long as your not having sunny/hot week and your still getting rain your new lawn will continue to grow
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Grass is quite hard to kill. Even if the mower scalped the lawn down to the soil, the roots will still be there and will send shoots up. Be patient!
  • luckwudaveit
    luckwudaveit Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Grass is quite hard to kill. Even if the mower scalped the lawn down to the soil, the roots will still be there and will send shoots up. Be patient!

Agreed. Let it grow again and if it isn't looking the best next spring, you can always add some grass seed to it to thicken it up.
  • PauloYorkshireLad
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Cheered me up no end. Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure