PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fencing off parking on private road?

Options
kev225
kev225 Posts: 122 Forumite

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure you've double checked all terms of your property deeds, including the map?

Are there any clauses in the deeds (land registry records) about right of way across the road?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've nothing in the deeds then it's not yours.... so you'd just be starting a fight, which might end up as something you have to declare when you sell, making your house harder to sell as you have a neighbour dispute.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the area in question outside of a dropped kerb with an off road parking area?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Park outside her house?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    why would you want to p***off your neighbours more? You have moved there recently, maybe she has parked there for ages without any bother. Try talking some more and bribing with cakes and offer to look after her house when she is away.

I live on a council adopted street (colliery terrace) and there is NO parking at my front door as they were allotments. Often I have someone who doesn't know the area park in "my" space, at my back door, blocking my gate. I just have a word. Its not actually my space and I would never claim it. A non-adopted road is no different (someone owns it). Unless you have paid for the road and its in your deeds, in which case you are well within your rights to put up chains and barriers if they don't obstruct anyone from their property.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't own it/can't prove you own it then....yes it IS tough sh*t and if you were that bothered you should've sorted it out BEFORE moving there.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have you looked on the land registry map? Either for your property in particular or the street in general?

Would be helpful to find out if the land is registered or not.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the road is private, who wons it?
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    'Blocked our from path' it's not clear if you referring to your actual driveway you use for vehicular access to your property, or some other path used by pedestrians.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • DannyboyMidlands
    Options
    Sounds like a normal parking situation like you get on a terrace street. People have no particular right to the road in front of their house.

You can't just claim a bit of the road outside your house. If you're gonna do that, why not go further and claim the whole street? You could charge people to park there and then clamp them if they kick up a fuss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure