Like for Like Electric Shower replacement - easy enough?

Options
Current Mira Sport shower that we acquired with the house is giving us hassle again - pilot valve is probably gone as it is tempermental as to whether it will allow water flow or not.

I could replace the valve but by my reckoning the shower is at least 11 years old (as that's when they stopped making them) which is pretty good going for an instant heat shower in our hard water. As I don't know when it was put in it could be up to 18 years old! Chances are I'll fix the valve (£50 for part) and the element will go, so I'm reckoning new shower is best option.

Looking to replace with the current equivalent but before I take the plunge I've a few questions for the knowledgeable out there!

1. My understanding is that as its straight like for like its not Part P notifiable - is this correct? (I should say that the whole house has been rewired since Christmas so I know the circuit is correct and sound - it will be a 9Kw shower on 10mm cable with a 40A circuit breaker).

2. I'm happy with the electrical side - did a lot of rewiring in the old house before the regs changed and am confident with that, my question is how easy is it for a relative plumbing novice to swap one shower for another? From reading the instructions online it appears the pipe positions are the same in the new versions, and we have a stop valve in the pipe just before the shower to make isolating easier.

Although it will save money putting it in myself, my main reason for doing so is that OH is heavily pregnant and could deliver any time. She obviously finds it hard to be without a shower and having to use the bath instead - I'm not therefore keen to have to wait 2 weeks for a plumber to do it if I can do it easily enough.

Thanks in advance for any tips, frank advice etc.
Adventure before Dementia!

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mira still make a "Sport" model. :confused:
    Go for any similar bodied Mira model you are happy with and that is 9kw or less. The fuse at 40 amp will not take more than 9kw by my calculation (9000 / 230 = 39.13)
    My understanding is also that as this is like for like (assuming you keep to the same power output) it is not covered by Part P.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    I did this exact job a few months ago and it was pretty easy. Plumbing is very easy if your new shower has the same entry point for the pipe - its just a simple compression fitting (you might need a bit of PTFE tape if you cant get a good seal so it might be handy to pick up a roll when you get the shower). In terms of connecting the wiring it is no more difficult than changning a plug assuming everything is already in place as you have stated.

As far as I am aware, you are correct in saying that a straight swap is not part P notifiable.
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    hubby did a similar job in our bathroom, but I will say that he was cursing and swearing at the compression fitting not "fitting" properly, even with PTFE tape, so in the end we went out and bought a shower with a screw-thread fitting instead. It was probably still cheaper than employing someone to fit the first one! He went to Wickes where the assistants seem to know what they're talking about, and didn't mind opening some of the boxes to make sure the shower was the same size/same layout as the one we were replacing.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure