How Can I Entertain.......

a couple of 12/13 year old boys and a 15 year old boy during my wedding breakfast? :confused:

We have various ages of children coming to our wedding and I think I've come up with something to entertain most of them during the meal (all moneysaving by buying off ebay, poundland etc..) :A

I'm having trouble thinking of anything for the 12/13 year old boys, 15 year old boy, and also 12 year old girl.

For the younger kids I've got some little chests of drawers from Poundland which came filled with drawing and colouring stuff. I've also bought a few of those magic painting books off ebay - the ones you just paint with water.

For the slightly older kids I'm thinking of buying some of the Usborne Puzzle Adventure books off ebay (as I know I loved them when I was younger).

Can anyone suggest anything to get the older kids? I don't want them to feel left out but at the same time I think they're at the age where they want to be treated like adults.

Am wondering if I should get anything at all the for 15 year old or just promise him a couple of cocktails at the evening do (with parents approval of course!)

Any ideas anyone can give me would be gratefully received!
Debt at Highest: £11,630.10 (May 2006) Debt now: £0.00 !!!!
Married to the man of my dreams :A - Sat 2nd June 2007

Comments

• ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    The boys are at "that age" where probably nothing you can offer them will distract them from the fact that they are missing out on a day's online gaming or skateboarding! They (and the 12 yr-old girl) might be amenable to carrying out some basic "helping out" tasks, such as fetching drinks or amusing the younger children.
    I would treat the 15 yr-old as an adult, make sure he's in the photos with the adults, not the children. He will probably have more in common with guests in their 20's and enjoy being included in their conversations (my teens always did). It's really up to his parents what/how much alchohol he is allowed. I don't think there are many 15 yr-olds that are a stranger to the odd half of lager!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you want them amused then set up a TV and playstation with games in another room :)
    Make sure there are enough controllers for all of them though and "ban" the young kids from the room as at that age chances are they will find it immensely annoying if the younger kids throw a hissy fit because they're not allowed to play too...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • jopsey
    jopsey Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When SS was 13 we went to a wedding and he recieved a Parker pen he was thrilled .
    I was so shocked that he apperiated this ,he is more of the ps2 gang than a pen lover .

I think it made him feel more grown up rather than a child (IYKWIM)
  • ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    The PS2 idea is a good one that has worked at family parties for us before. However I've got to say for my boys aged 11 and 10 we always take along books and ds/gba of our own.

One of my friends got married on a Sunday afternoon of a weekend that had been particularly hectic for us and we actually had to take homework along - I don't think she minded!

My point is whilst it's nice to provide things for the little ones by the time you get to teens/pre-teens they've got enough experience to come equipped. The parker pen idea is a good one - it might be a good idea to buy them a "treat", even if it won't necessarily keep them occupied on the day.

Depending on the catering arrangements it might be worth providing some pre meal snacks for the LOs. I always take cartons of drinks and snacks along when we get invited to a wedding as my kids soon start to misbehave if they miss a regular meal time - I also usually end up passing stuff out to loads of less prepared parents!
  • barbie_babe
    barbie_babe Posts: 668 Forumite
    my boys are 11 and 12 and love top trumps they sit for hours playing these.
    :j
  • bigburd
    bigburd Posts: 117 Forumite
    tine wrote: »
    If you want them amused then set up a TV and playstation with games in another room :)
    Make sure there are enough controllers for all of them though and "ban" the young kids from the room as at that age chances are they will find it immensely annoying if the younger kids throw a hissy fit because they're not allowed to play too...

:rotfl: :rotfl: NOOOOOOOOO! Only do this if you don't want any men left in the room!!! They WILL after a few pints head straight in to 'check' on the teens and never return!!!
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I think the top trumps idea, or a card game, is better than TV etc., A game is portable, something they can play with different people on different tables and encourages interaction. TV / Computer games don't, and they miss the atmosphere of a wedding, in my opinion.
    That's Numberwang!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport