We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best Place to Exchange Money for Holiday

Hi Everyone

Can you please suggest any places or internet sites which will give me the best exchange rate? :)

I am off to America in 5 days and need to get some holiday money, and TC's

Any comments on which are better? American Express TC's or Visa Tc's?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)
DFW 199 - Debt FREE March2009
Proud to be dealt with my debts!:D

Comments

  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Post office is as good a rate as anyone for cash exchanges, I dont know about TC's as I never use them in America.
    I usually take about $25/day and an empty credit card, which I use for just about everything, petrol, hotels, food, shopping etc, if need be I get more cash from ATM with my CC but seldom happens. I think in 9 trips I have withdrawn cash twice.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    In the USA,TC`s can be used just like money.
    Best site for currency is https://www.travelex.co.uk
    Buy online pick it up at the airport
    Think they also do TC`s
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I would just use an ATM in the US - but be warned most US ATMs charge for withdrawals so get one large sum rather than several small sums

    And whenever you can, just use your CC.
  • lucy7509
    lucy7509 Posts: 126 Forumite
    thanks everyone for the advice, I have looked into the travelex site, good rate going now, £1 = $1.89.

    I am unsure how much to take in travellers cheques, and don't want to put alot on the CC, as I am working to pay them off, and would like to come back from the holiday knowing everything I bought is already paid for.

    I have prepaid for most of the holiday, and have squirrelled away some cash to spend whilst I am there. I don't know how you only spend $25 a day? I am travelling with a family of 5 and think about $100 - $150 a day seems more reasonable. Best deal I have made is that most of my hotels include a cooked breakfast! Which tends to be rare in the states.

    Need to look into the ATM use, not done that yet.
    DFW 199 - Debt FREE March2009
    Proud to be dealt with my debts!:D
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    lucy7509 wrote: »
    I don't know how you only spend $25 a day?

    I am usually travelling alone and I do spend more than that but usually only about $25 cash the rest is on CC.
    I have the funds available to use cash for everything but I find it easier and more secure to set aside one card to use all the time on my trip then pay balance in full when bill comes in. That way I get the extra months interest on my spending money.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.