We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fair priced holidays during school holidays

2»

Comments

  • Tardis_2
    Tardis_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Great idea!....as a single parent of 3 it is expensive and as usual companies do their best to make money out of us during the holidays as we now get wrists slapped if we take our darlings out of school....ANOTHER reason why people are leaving this country in droves......we are next!! Which reminds me....anyone know of a good cd and/or Spanish Language course. Ta!
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Tardis, Spanish Steps from the BBC is a great start. Free too

    Often when my lot were young, being a family of 5, get hit all ways, so
    we'd get the train to Manchester or Birmingham for a cheap flight.
    A late June/early July flight costing £300 from Scotland, will maybe only be £60 from England.

    The other benefit being, we wouldnt need to sit on a plane full of chavs with Celtic + Rangers tops on.:rotfl:

    Top tip, after 2 weeks, with beer, sweat and chili sauce from your late night kebab-the football top youve worn for the last ten days in the "Ibrox Bar" or "Jinkies tavern" is now starting to smell a tad !:rolleyes:
  • SundayGirl
    SundayGirl Posts: 37 Forumite
    Tardis - I like the Michel Thomas Language courses; haven't tried the Spanish, but the French and German ones are very good. Quite expensive to buy, but you should be able to borrow from your local library.
  • ccygirl
    ccygirl Posts: 128 Forumite
    I have 3 children and summer holidays are v expensive. I try to book independently as this works out cheaper than paying for one child as an adult. France is a good holiday, I was able to hire a caravan near la rochelle for £800 for 2 weeks in august. I don't think I could hire one here that cheap. You do have to pay road tolls and there are more expenses but on the whole the weather should be better than here.
  • We always go 2nd week of June as its still primary school holidays in England but you can get a reasonably cheap deal, much cheaper than the May bank hol week.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    We tend to go May and October school holidays. I book flights and accommodation separately which can work out really cheap compared to brochure prices. We are going to Spain in August this year, flights for 4 with BMI Baby £413. The accommodation is free as its a friends villa but if we had to pay it would be £300. There are ways round it, planning well in advance can be very cheap too.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    I think this is ridiculous. Too many people want to go on holiday in school holidays. They cannot satisfy the demand.

    If you're a holiday company, you've got a fixed number of holidays to sell - the hotel rooms don't go anywhere. But 1.5 million people would prefer to go on holiday in August, and only 0.5 million in June.

    Unless they make August more expensive than June, there's no incentive for people to go outside of the peak time. So they lose lots of money.

    Whereas if they say you can go in August for £500 or June for £200, then people can take the choice - go when it's quieter and the company needs to fill space, or go when it's busy and pay more. It's absurd that they would charge the same price when they can sell the holiday three times over.

    You just need to be more creative - book in advance, go at different times, spend more time on research, whatever.

    I'm going to Tenerife next week, on Good Friday, one of the busiest days of the year, (coming back Easter Sunday) and I'm paying £40 pp + taxes for the return flights. Of course I could easily have spent £600 pp on flights to Sharm el Sheikh, but I didn't, I shopped around and got a cheap deal, not to my first choice destination, but it's still a nice break. The options are out there.

    There's *plenty* of cheap flights available in August (http://www.skyscanner.net/gbp/flights-from/uk/august-2007/august-2007/cheapest-flights-from-united_kingdom-in-august-2007.html) to pretty much the destination of your choice. You've got a six-week window, and it's not hard to get flights for <£100/person.

    Do the legwork (and it can take quite a lot), and a cheap holiday is possible at any time of year.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • Sam_Bee
    Sam_Bee Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    I re-affirm creative holidays for school children during our lovely summer weather is in the UK!

    Youth Hostels, walking, B&B's, seeing how beautiful our own country is, contributing to our own local economy, nice weather, great beaches...

    Overseas holidays are a (polluting) luxury surely, should never be seen as a right or necessity?

    Some great family rooms in Youth Hostels in Lake District - very cheap too!
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am also a single parent of one (6yr old) and even though we don't go abroad we always have 2 holidays a year + 1 music festival w/e. Last year was Womad and its the Green man this summer.

    I second the YHA comment. I am a member and we can even stay in the international hostels on the cheap. We spent last summer in Cornwall and off to Liverpool this Easter, I shall book our summer holiday is North Wales in advance to guarantee the best choices of dates. You can join online at http://www.yha.org.uk/. I also have a young persons railcard (mature students over 26 can apply) so I save money on train tickets and my Daughter is permanently 'just about to turn 5' so I only purchase a ticket for me. Naughty but saves a bit of change which can go on activities on holiday.

    To get cheap tickets to family friendly music festivals during school holidays, I always check out http://www.scarletmist.com/default.asp, the site is also the best for getting cheap tickets to sold out gigs.
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • Like most people I'd love to pay less but I just accept it's supply and demand and so don't blame anyone.

    I'm also dead against holidays in termtime particularly at secondary school level (no I'm not a teacher). It must be a nightmare for the teachers and disruptive for others. If you want your kids educated you should play by the rules IMO........and I don't buy into all the excuses like 'giving little Jonny an experience we couldn't afford if we took holidays when we are supposed to ' etc etc!!! We could all say that but if we all acted on it the classrooms would be half empty.

    Getting off my soapbox now and ducking!!!!!!



    .
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.