No Car but need car insurance

Does anyone know if you can get a policy that covers a person to drive another parties car. My brother's car has been off the road for over 18 months but he has continued to pay his fully comp insurance so that he is insured in case he borrows his friends car. I explained that if he borrowed his friends car he would still only be insured for third party and it would probably be cheaper to pay the friend the extra money and be put on their insurance cover and then he would be covered fully rather than just third party.

Anyone help here please.
£2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz

Comments

• Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your are right, waisting his money. :o
  • Spot on Al Mac.
  • im not 100% sure but i think when your car is off the road you can tell your insurers that ur not on the road at the moment and they will help you either lower price or completely stop you paying untill ur back on the road.

As for driving other vehicals as long as you have a Full Licence, your own insurance cover and have got the owners consent.

You are automatically insured on there car

Please correct me if i am wrong.

HTH
    No Man Or Woman Is Worth My Tears And The One Who Is Will Never See Me Cry

:rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A man with morals
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kazd wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can get a policy that covers a person to drive another parties car.

If someone else (the owner) has an insurable interest in the vehicle your brother will find he's unable to insure it as well.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • nbt
    nbt Posts: 62 Forumite
    As for driving other vehicals as long as you have a Full Licence, your own insurance cover and have got the owners consent.

This is only true if the insurance yo have offers this cover. the vast majority do so, but I've previously discounted policies that didn't ofer this kind of cover so make sure.
    NBT : Notoriously Bad Typist
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kazd wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can get a policy that covers a person to drive another parties car. My brother's car has been off the road for over 18 months but he has continued to pay his fully comp insurance so that he is insured in case he borrows his friends car. I explained that if he borrowed his friends car he would still only be insured for third party and it would probably be cheaper to pay the friend the extra money and be put on their insurance cover and then he would be covered fully rather than just third party.

Anyone help here please.
    If he is ever likely to borrow his friend's car, it would be both cheaper and safer to be a named driver on his friend's car. If he is not a named driver on his friend's car, even if he is driving with his friend's consent and has his own policy, he may run into problems with whichever insurance company he tries to claim from - his own or his friend's.

But the best place for car questions is Honest John - The Back Room forum often discusses insurance, but if you can't find a definitive answer then you can register and ask your own.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!

HTH

I drive a company car and I have company insurance, I am a named driver on my DH's policy, I can't drive my teenagers' cars because they are insured for driver only. My DH can drive them with 3rd partycover only on his insurance but I am not covered.

I would never drive anyones car without checking the wording of the policy I was driving under, I have known people who just let anyone drive their car without even checking they were covered. Madness...:confused:
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Driving other cars on your own policy is almost always restricted to 3rd party cover only. It is not intended by insurers to be for anything other than short term use in exceptional circumstances. My broker told me a couple of years ago that you can count on the insurers thoroughly investigating all such claims. So get the off-road car on to theft only cover, and get added as a driver on the other car policy.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I added my sister to my policy even though she would never drive my care. I did so because the company I was with (CORNHILL) charged less if there were two people on the policy! This is not always the case but, provided your brother is in a 'low risk' category, the extra charge should not be too great. The only caveat would be that the two people insured presumably live at different addresses and are not 'partners'. That may affect the premiums unfavourably.

I assume your brother's insurer can give reduced insurance on his car provided it is reasonably safely stored.
  • Just to add to Paul's post, I've come across a few people who have benefitted from naming their mother as a driver (assuming they hold a full licence!). Has made for some remarkable discounts in premiums, especially here in N.I.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure