We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Things to do on the plane

Hi guys,

I'm due to fly to Florida in 3 weeks, has anyone got any good tips on how to pass the time on the flights? The films they show are usually pretty iffy, or I've always seen them all.

Cheers.
«1

Comments

  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    There is a very old fashioned thing which doesn't require headphones, frantic finger and thumb manipulation, lcd screens, heaps of batteries etc, etc ....it's called reading a book !
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    sleeping works for me. though on ryanair i cant move for the lack of space. No chance of the brace position out of me.
  • lisa_cee
    lisa_cee Posts: 73 Forumite
    apart from books not really sure !

    have a great time my dd's also going to florida with my auntie uncle and cousin in 2 weeks for 2 weeks (im such a bad mum for letting her go) !
  • Eagle_1
    Eagle_1 Posts: 8,484 Forumite
    What about taking some travel games on board ? at the moment Tesco have buy one get one free and games include Monopoly, Battleships, Operation, Cluedo and a couple of others.

    Take your own portable DVD player and movies.

    Sleep

    Eat

    Play games again

    sleep

    Eat again

    Watch another movie

    and hopefully you will then be about to land :D
  • I'm a nervous flyer so praying usually takes up most of my time on board
  • rallymad
    rallymad Posts: 136 Forumite
    Sleep, read, eat, listen to music.

    Or, as I usually do, play the "count how many minutes until you should land" game. Really exciting.

    I don't know why I go anywhere!
  • janey_uk
    janey_uk Posts: 204 Forumite
    Pace to ward off thrombosis.

    Make a ready-reckoner for your wallet with the current exchange rates so you know what you're about to spend!

    Read a travel guide to florida.

    Learn the maps of where you'll be staying.

    Pace a bit more.

    Plan your route round the theme parks.

    Get a PSP or Nintendo DS (cheap in duty free).

    Listen to a language CD (their accents are strong, but you won't need a new language for FLA!)

    Start a travel journal.

    Count the number of baldies/gingers/false teeth you can spot.

    Pace more.

    Learn the calorific contents of US junk food - that's the main fare there - even better read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlossenger.

    Braid your children's/fellow passenger's hair.

    Start an underground passenger's revolution group to complain abou the food.

    Buzz the stewards with stupid questions ('are we there yet', 'do they have tv in florida', 'where can I smoke' etc)


    *too much time on my hands - can I come with you?*
    For everything else, there's MSE :T
  • Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    Given the opportunity I would sleep...but as soon as I drop off I get a dig in the ribs so hard my lungs want to jump out. "You're snoring"....do I give a sh*t..........

    I don't mind the trip TOO your destination, you've got your holiday to look forward to, it's the flight back that seems to go on forever. I always get a puzzle book (shhhh...you know the one with the answers in the back!!), hate reading anyway.

    Why is it when you decide to use the loo, there is ALWAYS one person that takes ages in there so I stand for ages like a lemon in the aisle getting in the way of the stewards?

    My wife and I love going to Florida, as she says, it's the only place in the world where she feels like Twiggy....have you seen the size of most if not ALL of the American women...ginormous!!

    Enjoy your hols...really envious!!

    D
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • vsumouse
    vsumouse Posts: 164 Forumite
    i just got back from cuba, and i borrowed a friends PSP and played fifa on the plane ( once the seat belt light went out), seemed to pass the time quite fine, on your return i wouldnt worry to much cause you will prob. be tired and sleep most the way back
  • Seraphic
    Seraphic Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not a big fan of reading, and sleeping on these flights is next to impossible cos you're bound to have a plane full of excited kids (as well as the adults!).

    I thought about getting a PSP - but then I thought it'd work out cheaper to buy one once I'm in Florida and use it on the way back.

    Keep the suggestions coming :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.