Sending money abroad

Options
Please does anyone know a cheaper way to send money abroad from a bank account in the Uk to a sterling bank account in Turkey ?
All UK banks seem to charge £20 and it is not possible to use a debit/credit card it seems.
Were all Dooooooooomed !

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much? How urgent is the transaction?More info required.
    Eric
  • tonys_3
    tonys_3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked at Paypal?You can send them money from your bank,using a debit card and send it to Turkey,providing you have their email address,and obviously they can access their email there.When paypal email them to ask where to send the funds,all they have to do I believe is to email them back with the bank account in Turkey.
    Doesn't have to be paypal,though I think they are probably cheaper than some of the
    others.I understand they charge somewhere around 5% of the amount transferred.
    ie £5 charge for every £100 sent.Don't know if the money can be collected straight
    away.

WEstern Union can wire money to their offices in Turkey-not quite such a ripoff as banks-about £14 for £100 I think.Can't think why banks don't allow one to transfer funds to someone else's personal account by debit card,since you can draw money from your own account abroad.Then I suppose they would lose all those £20 charges.
    Failing that,contact your credit card company and explain what you want and see if they can help.

Interestingly,if both of your accounts were held at Citibank,they would transfer up
    to £10,000 pounds within 24 hours for free.That's how easy it is to do these days,
    small wonder our banks make so much money each year.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's a sterling account what happens if you send a cheque?

Some banks only charge £8 for transfers
  • p3gg
    p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andy88 wrote:
    Some banks only charge £8 for transfers

Blimey. Which banks?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories