Avoid getting outbid at the last minute on eBay

How do you avoid getting outbid at the last minute on ebay? I thought I had managed it recently but still was outbid. Is there a knack?!

>:(

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pt in your highest bid by proxy shortly before the end of the auction. The proxy bids for you up to your maximum and you only get outbid if someone is willing to pay more than you.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rafi_2
    rafi_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Thanks Soo

Will make sure next time - I hope!
  • DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    you could also try http://www.bidnip.com - I think you get some free and its not against ebay rules.

DJ
  • rafi_2
    you could also try http://www.bidnip.com - I think you get some free and its not against ebay rules.

DJ

have you used this yourself, does it work and is it secure? You have to give your ebay user name and password and initially get 5 free 'goes'.
  • DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yep I've used 4 (I think) of my free swipes.

It is really effective - especially of you know that you won't be in / or able to place a bid at the last minute.

It is secure as far as I know - I have never had any problems with it.

DJ
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Or https://www.bidnapper.com is a good one. I've used their free 10 day trial a couple of times. Some people don't agree with using auction sniper sites, but as someone else said, it isn't against Ebay rules.

At the end of the day though, whether you put your own bid in manually at the last minute or via an auction sniper site, it's still a gamble as to whether someone else is willing to pay more than you. So you can never really guarantee you won't be out-bid.
  • rafi_2
    Thanks everyone - will try them!

Rafi

:)
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    There is also https://www.lotsnipe.co.uk

I don't know if that is the same as the other or not, but worth a go.

Spikey
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Bidnip is the best one I've found so far. If you aren't successful at sniping an auction they don't deduct the 'nip'. With Lotsnipe the snipes are used up wether or not you are successful. With Bidnip you get 'nips' for recommending people and I have only ever spent $5 (I think...it was ages ago) and still have plenty left. They have a brilliant customer services as well. I have found it invaluable, especially if you can't sit and watch the end of an auction, like when they finish in the middle of the night. Also you can download a tiny file that puts 'Snipe it with Bidnip' onto you right click button, just click it on the auction and it takes you to the site with all the information already entered ready to go! Hope this is helpful.
  • rafi_2
    Thanks again - will let you know how it goes!

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport