NRAM PPI Review Team WARNING

Options
OK I thought I would start a new thread as a warning to as many people as possible who this situation might apply to.

I asked for a review of my PPI with NR 9 weeks ago now and the following is what I have learnt from the process (still not resolved).

Some facts IMHO.

1. NRAM PPI Review Team are just a "Review" team. They do not handle complaints about the misselling of PPI. They "Review" the sales process and make a decision accordingly.

2. As they are performing a "Review" they do not seem to have to make any effort to try and conform to the FSA/FOS guidlines of 8 weeks to resolve a "Complaint". This is why they are consistantly quoting 14-16 weeks for a review with me and I'm sure others as well.

3. The people you speak to on the phone are NOT part of the review process they are solely first line customer service. Therefore they can only tell you what the "system" tells them.

4. Even though the letter from NRAM sent out states that they will review PPI potentially missold there are some caveats that they do NOT tell you.

a) They will only review PPI sales on Unsecured Loans. Definatly not on Secured Loans and probably not on MPPI, although MPPI doesnt apply to me.

b) (And heres the important part) They will only review between particular dates. If you have a loan outside of those dates they will not review it.

I have potentially wasted 9 weeks as I *thought* I had asked for a review of 6 unsecured loans and 2 secured loans only to find out today that they PPI review team are only reviewing THREE (out of 8) unsecured loans.

I now have to complain directly to NR customer Service in an attempt to get all the other products looked at.

I have had ZERO communication from the PPI team everything I have found out has been off my own back.

Also with my situation, as the 6 unsecured loans were a "consolidation chain" when they rule in my favour with the three they are investigating it will be impossible for them to work out correct redress as they have not found out the details of three loans out of the six in the chain.

My advice to anyone recieving the NRAM PPI letter would be to fill out the FOS questionairre and send it direct to NR and bypass the PPI review team. At least then you may have a chance of your complaint sorted closer to the 8 week timeline. (And it may even be looked at correctly).

I really hope that this information helps someone else to not have to go through the same hassle I have.

Cheers

Mu
Northern Rock PPI - Sent 05/05/2012 Signed For 10/05/2012
HSBC Loans/Flexiloan - Sent 24/05/2012 Signed For 25/05/2012 Upheld 24/08/2012 £10,900 refund
HSBC Credit card -
Claim ongoing

Chartered Trust PLC Loan - Sent 14/05/2012 Signed For 15/05/2012 Rejected, rebuttal sent.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a) They will only review PPI sales on Unsecured Loans. Definatly not on Secured Loans and probably not on MPPI, although MPPI doesnt apply to me.

You can still complain about MPPI and PPI on secured loans. However, the issues over those are very different to unsecured loans. So, it is no surprise a different team will deal with those (unsecured loans with PPI should almost be 99% upheld. MPPI should rarely be upheld).
    b) (And heres the important part) They will only review between particular dates. If you have a loan outside of those dates they will not review it.

This would indicate they have identified a widespread issue that occurred between those dates.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AncientOfMu
    Options
    Dunstonh

I understand the differences between Unsecured, Secured and MPPI. That isnt my issue.

Just to make it clear I am trying to warn other poeple from making the same mistake that I did, expecting a PPI review team to review PPI that I had been sold on Northern Rock products. Apparantly I was misstaken.

Cheers

Mu
    HSBC Loans/Flexiloan - Sent 24/05/2012 Signed For 25/05/2012 Upheld 24/08/2012 £10,900 refund
    HSBC Credit card -
    Claim ongoing

Chartered Trust PLC Loan - Sent 14/05/2012 Signed For 15/05/2012 Rejected, rebuttal sent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    This would indicate they have identified a widespread issue that occurred between those dates.
    Yes, this thread refers to a team set up by NRAM to look at widespread generalised failings.
    They write to customers who MAY have been affected by these generalised failings.
    More specific complaints go through the normal channels. I don't know how the OP has become involved with this team, but his "warning" is misplaced.
  • AncientOfMu
    Options
    Yes, this thread refers to a team set up by NRAM to look at widespread generalised failings.
    They write to customers who MAY have been affected by these generalised failings.
    More specific complaints go through the normal channels. I don't know how the OP has become involved with this team, but his "warning" is misplaced.

My warning is not missplaced.

I was written to by NRAM informing me of possible missale of PPI insurance on personal loans.

I therefore wrote back filling out their forms asking them to review the PPI on my personal loans.

It is only now 9 weeks later that I find out that the team only investigate a limited time period. At no point was I informed that I had written to he wrong team.

The warning is to people to check whether thier loans fall within the criteria investigated by the PPI team. As obviously 5/8ths of mine do not.

Cheers

Mu
    HSBC Credit card -
    Claim ongoing

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was written to by NRAM informing me of possible missale of PPI insurance on personal loans.
    Your warning IS misplaced because 99% of potential PPI complainants won't ever get a letter from the PPI team you are "warning" about.

Most complainants will go through the normal complaint channels and will never even be aware of the "review team".

Your case really is the exception to the norm.
  • AncientOfMu
    Options
    Your warning IS misplaced because 99% of potential PPI complainants won't ever get a letter from the PPI team you are "warning" about.

Most complainants will go through the normal complaint channels and will never even be aware of the "review team".

really? exception rather than norm?

then why is there a thread entitled Northern Rock PPI Letter?

this one

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3592199&highlight=nram+ppi

with 145 replies and 48 odd thousand views?.

All I am trying to warn people is that if you think you have been missold NR PPI then send a normal complaint through normal channels or at lerast check that you fit the criteria of the "PPI Review Team" Because they certainly wont tell you if you fit their criteria or not.

And yes I am damn cross about it.

And no it isnt directed at you per se.

Cheers

Mu
    HSBC Credit card -
    Claim ongoing

• AncientOfMu
    Options

Oh and my warning is TO the people who get the letter from the PPI team.

Oh and if my case is the exception why does it take them 16 weeks to sort out?.

Cheers

Mu
    HSBC Credit card -
    Claim ongoing

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    All I am trying to warn people is that if you think you have been missold NR PPI then send a normal complaint through normal channels
    As I said, 99% of potential complainants will never hear of the "PPI Review Team".

I thought we had advised you to complain through the normal channels when you first asked back in May? Read your original thread, we said complain to NRAM, not the Review Team;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3936387&highlight=
  • AncientOfMu
    Options
    As I said, 99% of potential complainants will never hear of the "PPI Review Team".

I thought we had advised you to complain through the normal channels when you first asked back in May? Read your original thread, we said complain to NRAM, not the Review Team;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3936387&highlight=

Ah I see my mistake for thinking that writing back to the NRAM PPI review team would trigger an investigation of the sale of PPI on my loans.

It obviously doesnt and when I got the advice to complain to NRAM it should have been NRAM Customer Relations not NRAM PPI Review Team as they are totally different entities and completely uninvolved with each other.

Truly is my mistake for thinking the PPI Review Team would investigate my PPI.

Ill go complain to Customer Relations and ignore the PPI Review Team and wait another 8 weeks.

( you see how easy it is to get confused?)

Cheers

Mu
    HSBC Credit card -
    Claim ongoing

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ill go complain to Customer Relations and ignore the PPI Review Team and wait another 8 weeks.
    Going to FOS takes up to a year, so I can't see any other alternative for you.
    For the final time, the vast majority of complainants will never know of the existence of the PPI Review Team at NRAM. So warning them of something they'll never experience is confusing at best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure