reading elec meter when changing

Options
bestyman
bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
I am about to change Electric from Britsish Gas to another company. I should save 19% if the figures are right.

Do I submit my reading to the new company and it`s as simple as that?

Just a thought, If I have used 4000 units since my last reading and say my reading was 38,000 when I phone my new supplier, if he misheard me and thought I said 36,000 I would save 19% on 2,000 units already used.

Of course, I wouldn`t want that to happen. Has anyone else ever been misheard ?

Paul
On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    Conning electric companies as you call "mishearing" should not be discussed on this site.

It's very likely that one or both of the companies will read your meter anyway because of people like you being about!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you change supplier you will be asked to submit your final reading to your new company and they will pass it on to your old company who will send you a final bill.

Your old company will have a rough idea of your useage from previous bills, and if your final reading is way out from their predictions they will send out a meter reader to read your meter and you may well incurr a £15 + fee if you provide a false reading.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks,
    That was my good idea number 13324. When I think of another one I`ll let you know or..erm..maybe not.

Fran, I appreciate what you say ;o) point taken. It was just a thought, I get them all the time!
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean. Keep thinking and let us know if you come up with some good ideas!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport