State pension hasn't been paid

Options
Hi all,

My husband turned 65 on Monday, and applied 3 months ago for his pension. They said he would be a Wednesday pay out and today would be the first payment but its hasn't arrived.
We live abroad (which they know about as they have sent letters & phoned us out here).

How long should we expect to wait before we phone them to see where it is? We are relying on that money to some mounted up bills, so the quicker it arrives the better!

Thanks, Steffe.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    today would be the first payment

Just a thought but did they mean that he was eligible from today but would be paid a week/four weeks in arrears?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4030713
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Entitlement will start from Wednesday (today) but all new State pensions are now paid four-weekly in arrears so it will be up to 4 weeks before he actually receives a payment. I say 'up to' because he will be aligned to a particular Wednesday and the first payment may be for less than 4 weeks. If this happens the following one will definitely be for 4 weeks as will all the others afterwards. He should have received a letter from the DWP explaining this and giving the initial payment dates and amounts. I certainly did when mine started last December.
  • originator
    originator Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I specifically asked for my state pension to be paid weekly(there is no provision for this option on the claim form) and received my first payment into the bank today:j
    mortgage free 3/10/12:)
    2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    datostar wrote: »
    Entitlement will start from Wednesday (today) but all new State pensions are now paid four-weekly in arrears so it will be up to 4 weeks before he actually receives a payment.

All new pensions are paid in arrears but you still have the option of weekly, fortnightly or monthly.

Benefits are paid on certain days of the week depending on your NI number.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I think if you live abroad you don't have the option of being paid weekly or fortnightly.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • whiskyman
    whiskyman Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Although there is no option on the claim form or you are not asked if you claim by phone for payments to be other than four weekly in arrears you have the option to request weekly payments. These are still paid in arrears. Your National Insurance number governs your payday. 00 to 19 = Monday, 20 to 39 = Tuesday, 40 to 59 = Wednesday, 60 to 79 = Thursday, 80 to 99 = Friday. The last letter of your NI governs which of the four weekly cycles you are on. YOU DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR WEEKLY OR FORTNIGHTLY PAYMENTS. IF YOU ARE ON ANY BENEFITS THERE IS A LEGAL OBLIGATION TO KEEP YOU ON THE SAME PERIOD OF PAYMENT.
    2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 July 2012 at 6:34AM
    Options
    Thanks for that useful info Whiskyman,

A relative of mine who is coming up shortly for her state pension had received a letter saying she didn`t need to apply for her pension as she was already in receipt of another benefit which is paid fortnightly.
    She was worried that after her current benefit stops her state pension would be paid monthly in arrears.
    If I`m reading your last sentence correctly, she will just remain on fornightly payments when the switch comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure