PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Can I be nosy and ask where you got the LifeSaver bottle and what you paid? I have been thinking about getting one for some time.

I got mine off eBay. Only paid £40 including postage. Otherwise they are pretty pricey.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    We have a campervan,we don't have much room so we purchased a toilet off eBay that is packed into a small case,they use them in America during disasters.you place a black bag inside it and we sprinkle a tiny scoop of Vernagel powder in and all the liquid waste turns into a gel.you can buy the bags with the powder in but they are really expensive.We purchased a 4kg tub of Vernagel which should last years because you only need 6 grams per bag.the bags can then go into your normal household waste.

I was actually thinking of getting one of those camping toilets next time I am there. You can use any bag really and it feels like a ordinary toilet to the bottom. Then just wrap it all up and bin it.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    You're doing better than me. I got UKIPed yesterday :eek:

Gorblimey, hadn't even thought about that crowd. Are they out on day release again? I do wish I had appreciated Screaming Lord Sutch and The Monster Raving Looney Party more when they were still adding to the gaiety of the nation.

Of course, one could posit the argument (get me! :p) that UKIP are filling the void left behind by the Monster Raving Loonies, but that would be cheap and predicatable.

;) Cheap I own up to, freely. Well, it would have to be free, wouldn't it?
    I would have actually voted for a Monster Raving Looney candidate. If you look at their wikipedia page you will see how many policies have actually come to be passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Monster_Raving_Loony_Party

Though who to vote for is made harder by this:-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/whose-policy-ukip-or-monster-raving-loony-party
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Or a nettle.

Or a field mushroom.

Ah, you might think that, the local A&E has evidence otherwise.
    herbily wrote: »
    On the subject of water filtration, I saw this:
    http://www.wired.com/2014/05/smart-solution-a-book-whose-pages-filter-dirty-water/

Can't wait for this to become commercially available - it's so easily storable, as long as I don't lose it in one of the many bookcases!
    I like it, thank you for pointing it out - though I'd have to get over my hatred of destroying books.
  • anika
    anika Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    :o thanks GQ, not that bad really, I have a friend who puts her litter on the floor in the cinema, because the staff will sweep it up after!! Drives me crazy. We had a caravan as a child, thought we were quite posh! We used to "make do" until we upgraded to the chemical portapotty:T

Talking of camping, Aldi are doing camping equipment soon, they have advertised a nice little stove, which I have seen advertised for a tenner in Asda, so I will be starting with one of those.

See, I am on my way:T
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karl Denninger has posted a thought provoking piece today:

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229003

I was talking about Ukraine to my mother over Sunday lunch. I said, you know what Mum, I think it would be better all round if Ukraine was part of Russia again:

They are constantly falling out with Russia over the price Russia charges them for gas. When they don't pay the bill, Russia cuts off the supply, but instead Ukraine steals the gas intended for the rest of Europe. If they were back as part of Russia, they would only get charged what the rest of Russia gets charged, and the gas would find its way to us without being interrupted.

On top of that, it seems like a large chunk of Ukraine actually wants to be part of Russia.

Hmm. Let me think... Would I want to live in a country that's at war with itself, and have at best expensive gas, and at worst none at all, or would I be happy to have peace and all the cheap gas Russia could pump?

Am I wrong?
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the island bear grylls channel 4 .... sorry if its already been discussed but .....13 blokes with basic survival skills have to survive.....2 days in they havent eaten anything bigger than a snail....say they eat something deadly.... have they signed disclaimers? Bear pointed out a small apple ..that can kill.... its probably not real
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    i really cannot stand bear grylls, he is too gushing and sensationalist, i much prefer the cool and calm ray mears and i would welcome him into my tent anytime ;)
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    i really cannot stand bear grylls, he is too gushing and sensationalist, i much prefer the cool and calm ray mears and i would welcome him into my tent anytime ;)

A welcome addition to any group of preppers. :beer:
  • sorryImoved
    sorryImoved Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2014 at 4:10AM
    Options
    Water filtering product.

After looking at a lot of products I bought this from Am*zon.

Sawyer Mini water filtration system

Ultra lightweight - only 2 ounces.
    Removes 99.99999% of bacteria and 99.9999% of protozoa, without using chemicals
    Sawyer 0.10 Absolute Micron Hollow Fiber Membrane Screw On/Off Water Filter.
    Drinking straw
    Life Expectancy: 100,000 gallon (378,540 Litres) guaranteed so should last a lifetime.

Read the reviews. I have not had a reason to use this product but after what I read I had to buy a couple to have on hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport