PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    What about vehicle fuel?

We, generally, have about 500 miles worth of fuel in both vehicles. can both do most of our work from home, Herself less so than me (but in which case she becomes an essential user under government categorisation and therefore would be priority under a rationing scheme.)
    Frankly under such a situation, any work that took me away from base wouldn't be undertaken as I would be spending essential reserves against a possible future payment. I'd rather take the income hit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If only we all had your flexibility. :(

A full tank gets me to work and back 12 times.

After that, I'm knackered.
  • nuatha
    edited 27 August 2013 at 3:49PM
    Options
    Double post - apologies
  • nuatha
    Options

Ouch.
    The trade off is that my work is seriously variable, no holiday or sick pay, hence maintaining a decent store cupboard.
    I've just changed vehicles and am noticing a serious difference in fuel consumption - I'll be going back to diesel for the next car. (unfortunately I'd not expected to have to change cars this year and had less cash than I would generally car shop with). Herself's commute is 12 miles each way and my current ongoing contract is 8 miles each way two days per week and a second contract requires me on site 1-2 times per month with a 45 mile round trip.

Part of that is down to advance planning, we bought a house in easy commuting distance for herself, part of it is luck, since I've been known to commute up to 200 miles depending where the work is.
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    I found gardening gloves are great for this. I can pick up slugs and beasties with gloves on that I really can't touch with bare hands. I also find you can knock stuff off plants into a pot or tray to sort out-tbh most of the caterpillars and slugs go in a pot then chucked to the chickies here lol.

Ali x

Gardening gloves are doing the trick for me thus far. I've encountered one multi-legged crawlie which traversed over my gloved hand and although I squealed I didn't break the cold frame glass. There's also a slug living in said cold frame who I can't touch even gloved but a friend has suggested I use a fish slice. I'm going try removing him to the wall with that and then sprinkling him with salt. Although I feel a bit mean for doing that to him this area is very bad for slugs and I'm growing leaves for *me* to eat, not him.
    JayneC wrote: »

Lottie is doing well and we are having all home grown veg with most meals now. Also able to give some to DS and DD and the courgettes are being given away to random strangers :D - I've taken to putting them out on the front wall with a sign saying help yourself!

Had an upsetting episode this week as I had to have my elderly cat put to sleep:( It was very sad and I'm afraid I wasn't very dignified at the vets...But she was 19 yo so had a good old life and is now sleeping under the pear tree in my back yard near to the jasmine - which was coincidentally her name...

Your local food bank *might* be able to take excess veggies - it depends on their set up, when they're open etc. And I'm very sorry to hear about your cat - have had the same experience too many times and it never gets any easier. Sam is 14 now and arthritic so I know it's only a matter of time before I have to do it again. I don't think the vets expect one to be dignified - at mine they don't even expect you to be able to pay and send an invoice even though 'we don't operate an accounts policy'.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    The subject of BOBs can cover a lot of ground.

Could you be more specific?

I was just enquiring generally as had come across the term. From reading on here I think I need to have a grab bag for unexpected hospital visits mainly. I wold be unable to travel far because of mobility problems and I don't have private transport.

If there was any sort of long term system collapse I would not survive in any case as I rely on medication to keep me alive. So I plan to prep for more short term SHTF situation such as very bad winters, transport breakdowns, and power shortages. Do you think that will be ok?

I have always kept 'in case of' medical supplies and top up/renew on a regular basis. I intend to get torches & batteries and more candles and hope to learn more from you wonderful people on here.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Bessie, my online pal is a Navajo and they sometimes catch plague - it's endemic in the wee rodents on the reservation. Think they called prairie dogs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I intend to get torches & batteries and more candles

If you live in a location which suffers from bad winters and power outages (I know any area can suffer power cuts, but some areas get a lot), then alternative cooking facilities would be a good idea, particularly if your stove is electric.
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Thanks BedsitBob. Its something I have thought about but don't really know where to start. I live in the middle of a very large block of flats and there are strict regulations about what you can have/use. My main cooker is gas and has been a lifesaver during previous power outages. It just so happens that if one flat has a power 'problem' it can affect others around it or even us all.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options

BB, if a banking/cashflow crisis lasted for more than 12 working day without some sort of contingency arrangements being made a lot more than your work availability will be knackered. 3 meals from anarchy is it?
    I'm not too worried personally about the risk of 'flu transmission through the water supplies. Hand washing and old-fashioned personal hygiene (not rubbbing your eyes) is much more important. In a really big 'flu outbreak there might not be reliable water supplies anyway if water and power workers were affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure