retierment village

At the moment we live in a house up & down, which is fine but we have always said that our last move will be a bungalow. Another idea i had was living in a retirement village, has anyone had any experience of that?
Thanks

Replies

• ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Retirement properties for the over 55's tend to be flats and have fairly ferocious service charges.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • clemmatisclemmatis Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    I've no experience, sorry, but there's a list here

http://www.housingcare.org/elderly-uk-retirement-villages.aspx

They're normally more expensive than other retirement housing, I believe.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    BIZZYIZZY wrote: »
    At the moment we live in a house up & down, which is fine but we have always said that our last move will be a bungalow. Another idea i had was living in a retirement village, has anyone had any experience of that?
    Thanks

You'll be living amongst old people. :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Exactly my thought :D - I dont want to be with a load of old people hearing about all their ailments and seeing them fade away. And then you will get those bossy executive retirees, organising boring committees all the time which you have to attend. Oh no .......................

No, stay in a mixed, lively community, it will keep you young
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    hethmar wrote: »
    Exactly my thought :D - I dont want to be with a load of old people hearing about all their ailments and seeing them fade away. And then you will get those bossy executive retirees, organising boring committees all the time which you have to attend. Oh no .......................

No, stay in a mixed, lively community, it will keep you young

Couldn't agree more.

A few years ago now, we had a look at a new McCarthy & Stone development that was being built. Just from curiosity, you understand, not with a serious intention. The saleswoman did her best, but every sentence began with 'we find that older people like/don't like..' or 'want/don't want..' We were both used to the idea of buying a property to live in having done so more than once in our lifetimes, but the saleswoman's pitch showed us that we weren't just looking at a place to live but buying into an 'older people's lifestyle'. The crunch came when we asked about designated parking spaces. Shock horror. 'We find that most older people have given up driving...' well, given that these developments are designed for people of any age from 55 upwards, at that age may NOT have given up driving! There was one space allocated for every 4 apartments. That was it. We thanked her for her time and said we wouldn't waste any more of it.

I don't want to live in an old people's ghetto!
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • My husband and I looked at something like that or at least buying a bungalow, since we are both over 65.

After looking around at the tiny bungalows that selling our large house and all our furniture so that we could fit into a small bungalow that we could afford to buy without leaving us penniless, we decided on a stair lift.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If we had to go to single storey (house not suitable for stair lift) we would prefer a ground floor flat in a mixed development than an 'estate' of old people. Being in a community for all ages keeps you young!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • lambournelambourne Forumite
    51 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I am horrified at the idea of retirement villages for over 55s - I am 57 and went to my first Glastonbury at 55, my other is 84 and doesn't want to do things that are just old people - we are all part of the community and setting up ghettos should not be acceptable for any age group.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools