Is it illegal to use someone elses debit card?

Options
Is it illegal to use someone elses debit card even if you have their permission and they give you the pin?

My instinct tells me that it should be but I don't know.

Comments

• GooliesOfFire
    GooliesOfFire Posts: 385 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2012 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Illegal? When with owners permission, probably not.

Against bank's T&C? Yes

My wife uses my credit card sometimes.. when I cannot be bothered to go to shops myself haha. She even bought a new iPad abroad a few months ago and signed the receipt (our signatures are very similar), quite frankly they didn't even look at the signature that much they cared lol. I have no problem with that, but my bank wouldn't be pleased.
  • Judy_Judy
    Judy_Judy Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2012 at 10:43AM
    Options
    Thank you for such a quick response.

Another quick question:

Is it fraudulent to pretend to be another person ie the account holder, to access their account information via telephone and internet banking?
  • stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    Judy_Judy wrote: »

Another quick question:

Is it fraudulent to pretend to be another person ie the account holder, to access their account information via telephone and internet banking?

Of course it is....what are you trying to get at?
  • Judy_Judy
    Options
    stephane wrote: »
    Of course it is....what are you trying to get at?

If you see my other thread which was probably too long and hasn't had any answers yet the full story is on it. Someone has been accessing my Mum's account as if they are them. I am power of attorney feel sick to my boots that this has happened and am trying to find out how to protect my sick and confused mum.

i think it was called "Someone Accessing Mum's Bank Account."
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are two separate matters - one is of law (which is where the "illegal" bit comes from) and the other is the terms and conditions of the contract (but these are only binding on the signatories of the contract)

I preciously scan read your other post and in a nut shell it appears you're having a dispute with your siblings about managing your mothers money now that her mental faculties are starting to decline. You have a power of attorney where as they have simply have cards/ usernames/ passwords etc.

I didnt reply on the other thread because the sensationalisation aspect of saying "someone" rather than just saying its a dispute with your sister/brother irritated me.

It sounds like you and your sibling either needs to resolve your difference directly rather than sniping at each other on forums or if you are unable to do so then revisit the power of attorney and presumably go through the Court of Protection for them to rule the most appropriate person(s) and if it is joint then in what manor the joint responsibility resides.
  • Judy_Judy
    Options
    There are two separate matters - one is of law (which is where the "illegal" bit comes from) and the other is the terms and conditions of the contract (but these are only binding on the signatories of the contract)

I preciously scan read your other post and in a nut shell it appears you're having a dispute with your siblings about managing your mothers money now that her mental faculties are starting to decline. You have a power of attorney where as they have simply have cards/ usernames/ passwords etc.

I didnt reply on the other thread because the sensationalisation aspect of saying "someone" rather than just saying its a dispute with your sister/brother irritated me.

It sounds like you and your sibling either needs to resolve your difference directly rather than sniping at each other on forums or if you are unable to do so then revisit the power of attorney and presumably go through the Court of Protection for them to rule the most appropriate person(s) and if it is joint then in what manor the joint responsibility resides.

If I wanted to say sibling I would have, I can't see anything sensationalistic about using the word "someone" but I am sorry if this offended you in any way.

To clear up some of the assumptions you have made, this is a new screenname just for this posting, to ensure that I can't be identified so there is no forum intersibling sniping, just an anonymous request for some information. My name isn't even Judy.

The PoA has been in place for donkeys there would be no issue there just trying to determine the legal aspects before I do tackle the person involved so I can do so from an informed position.

I think I now know what I need to know thanks to everyone for the information they have supplied.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am clearly not "offended" and evidently you dont need to apologise but irritated people don't tend to be as helpful as those that arent irritated.

Clearly, even if you hadnt created a new screenname for yourself, people on this forum are not going to know the level of your mothers mental capabilities. Some will put a PoA in place long long before they are needed and donkey's years later are still perfectly fit to decide it is appropriate for another of their children to do something for them even if there isn't a PoA for them.

Obviously in other circumstances the elderly parent may no longer be in a fit state to make such decisions but a greedy child may either force them into it despite knowing their situation or simply fraudulently do it (after all, most of us would be able to answer the most common security questions of our spouses, parents and siblings)

You really need to simply have the conversation with your sibling & mother together, there is much more they can tell you than anyone on a forum can.

If your mother has given her permission but you think she is no longer fit to then you potentially need to look at removing your mothers ability to do things herself

If your mother has given her permission and you think she is fit to do so then its not really up to you but may be worth adjusting the PoA to cover you both, potentially in such a way that it takes both of you to agree something before it can be done

If your mother is fit to give permission but says she hasnt then obviously the choices are to report it as fraud or if she's not willing to get her child a criminal record then look at options 1 and 2 above
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options

Another quick question:

OMG yes. Impersonating another person for whatever reason is fraud!! Wherever were you dragged up, whatever school did you go to, not to know such an obvious thing?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Oh no. It's fine.
    Send me your account number, pin and user ID, and I'll be happy to access your account perfectly legally.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Illegal? When with owners permission, probably not.

Against bank's T&C? Yes

The bank are the owners of the card, and they never give permission.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure