Same card needed for return?

If I buy something with a credit card and the card needs to be shown when returning an item so the money can be put back on it - does it need to be the exact same card - or can an additional cardholder take the item back and use their card? (same account/number/surname, different forename)

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    at a guess, since the retailer only records the A/c number you'll be fine if the cards have the same number!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli wrote: »
    at a guess, since the retailer only records the A/c number you'll be fine if the cards have the same number!

Wrong - the retailer records the last four digits of the long number on the card. This will be different on the second card.
  • leicsmarkyr
    leicsmarkyr Posts: 560 Forumite
    Wrong - the retailer records the last four digits of the long number on the card. This will be different on the second card.

Not strictly true there are card issuers, for example MBNA who give the same card number to the primary and secondary cardholder.

If I buy something with a credit card and the card needs to be shown when returning an item so the money can be put back on it - does it need to be the exact same card - or can an additional cardholder take the item back and use their card? (same account/number/surname, different forename)

Each retailer will have its own policy. One will say you need to have the same card, one will say you need to have the same card number, one will say can use any.

It gets difficult when you have done a lost/stolen or the card has changed number for another reason. But explaining usually allows it
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    capital one and think even my Tesco has the same number
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chanz4 wrote: »
    capital one and think even my Tesco has the same number
    That's a hell of a coincidence! LOL:D
    Fancy having two completely different cards with the same 4 last numbers.:p
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    I have by accident used the wrong card before and didn't notice until there was a credit balance on the statement. It was a bit of a bonus, as I got 1% cashback and then because it was refunded to a different card, kept the cashback.

It does make me wonder about the retailer, as surely they would want the same card as you bought it on to get a refund of the merchant fees?
  • MoneySavingUser
    MoneySavingUser Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Thanks - it is a Tesco card so the numbers are the same on all the cards
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Valli wrote: »
    please note I said in my post -

IF THE CARDS HAVE THE SAME NUMBER
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I often buy items online with M&S using my card and my wife returns them to the shop and gets the refund on her (additional) card that has a different number. Never had a problem.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Usually it is the retailers IT system that insists on the same payment reference AND PIN to authorise the refund. This is because the CC company will refund all charges effectively cancelling the sale.

Crediting to a different card will transfer the funds but not cancel the merchant's fee - and this is why they insist on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure