IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

faulty car

in Motoring
14 replies 1.2K views
jasper54jasper54 Forumite
38 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
hi
bought car off dealer 1 months warrenty engine and gearbox
car was fine for about 4days then had problems with car so
contacted dealer and told to take car to garage of his choice
to be accessed for cost of repair car is now at garage and dealer now wants to take for second opion have today asked for refund sale of good act has only had 2 weeks he is refusing a refund
also advert of car was not as described saying it had been serviced at certain mileage but we have no record of service
pointed this out to him to say car was not as described

any help please

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You must offer him the chance of repairing the car. Seems like he is playin ball on that. But wants to limit the outlay asking for another quote.

Can you prove it was not serviced at that time? Lost paperwork somewhere? Or only had a receipt not a stamp in the book etc?

Stamp in the book means little. Quick oil change and a garage will stamp it.

What is the actual car and fault? Age & price of the vehicle will be a big question when others offer advice. You should mention these.

It maybe a common issue for your model and cheap fix or it maybe a major expense.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jasper54jasper54 Forumite
    38 Posts
    Forumite
    car is audi a3 tdi 2006 payed £6400

faults

starting problem

possible flywheel

pulley

turbo noise
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Forumite
    You must offer him the chance of repairing the car. Seems like he is playin ball on that. But wants to limit the outlay asking for another quote.

Not true.

Within the first several weeks you are not deemed to have accepted the car, therefore you can 'reject' the car due to faults.

The list of faults the O/P is listing would make me strongly urge them to reject the car and get their money back.

O/P - you need to contact citizens advice on how to handle this formally.
    38 Posts
    Forumite
    think to get your money back

you have to go through legal route ie court
    32.1K Posts
    Forumite
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    Not true.

Within the first several weeks you are not deemed to have accepted the car, therefore you can 'reject' the car due to faults.

The list of faults the O/P is listing would make me strongly urge them to reject the car and get their money back.

O/P - you need to contact citizens advice on how to handle this formally.

Thanks for that, Is this a set time or just what a time frame that you can say was reasonable to properly test the car?

Starting issue, Do these have DMF's? New clutch and the car is worth a lot more. I would let the dealer replace that.
    New turbo as well and its a keeper.

2 items that if looked after will last you in excess of 100,000 miles.

Lot of money for a 2006 car. I think i will stick to my Mondeo's I could get one that year for £2000 ish.

• motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, Is this a set time or just what a time frame that you can say was reasonable to properly test the car?

Starting issue, Do these have DMF's? New clutch and the car is worth a lot more. I would let the dealer replace that.
    New turbo as well and its a keeper.

2 items that if looked after will last you in excess of 100,000 miles.

Lot of money for a 2006 car. I think i will stick to my Mondeo's I could get one that year for £2000 ish.

Yes its in the realms of those sorts of timeframes, but the O/P needs to act NOW.

Depends on the model of the car - the 1.9's do from memory, not sure about the 2.0's.

Please dont think the car will be worth a lot more with a new DMF or turbo - particularly given the O/P has bought a car at a premium through a dealer. If a car has a DMF and / or turbo on their way out, then its worth an awful lot LESS than a regular car. If it has just had those fitted then it is worth NO MORE than a regular car.

Also, i'd expect the dealer to want to strongly resist doing this level of work as you're into several thousands of pounds.
  • muckybuttmuckybutt Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    jasper54 wrote: »
    car is audi a3 tdi 2006 payed £6400

faults

starting problem

possible flywheel

pulley

turbo noise

Sounds like my duff Vectra I bought from a used car dealer in Bradford a few months back.

Turbo boost hose went on way home, I got it replaced and dealer coughed up for the repair, then the clutch and dmf started to go so got quotes both around the 600 - 800 mark to replace. Dealer refused to accept the quotes and said he wouldnt pay for any other repairs, so sent notice before action to dealer, either you get it repaired or I want full refund.
    Took him the full 14 days to reply and he agreed to refund in full :)

I found this site http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/ a great help....good luck
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
    32.1K Posts
    Forumite
    It would be worth more to me. But when i buy a car i spend £2k so a clutch/turbo/starter motor is almost a new car.

After i crawl over it for hours looking for faults and test drive it for hours. Knowing its had those parts done would be a big bonus.

Mine had a clutch 60,000 miles ago. But was it abused? If not its got plenty of life in it and will last longer than i plan on keeping it.

Problem seems to be that £2000 buys a potential pot of expensive trouble with the newer cars.

MK4 Mondeo for £2k ? Asking for trouble?

38 Posts
    Forumite
    dealer has contacted today saying there is nothing wrong

with car but will give refund but said will pay with business cheque and he want documents etc i asked for cash but said would cost him too much he said either have cheque or take car if i sign car over to him i have nothing if cheque do not clear
  • edited 2 July 2012 at 9:21PM
    LincolnshireYokelLincolnshireYokel
    764 Posts
    edited 2 July 2012 at 9:21PM
    jasper54 wrote: »
    dealer has contacted today saying there is nothing wrong

with car but will give refund but said will pay with business cheque and he want documents etc i asked for cash but said would cost him too much he said either have cheque or take car if i sign car over to him i have nothing if cheque do not clear

Too right, possession is nine tenths of the law. If it were me id tell him i want cash in exchage for the docs (as the original exchange, which was good enough for him then) , that that is perfectly reasonable because otherwise you have nothing if the cheque bounces, that theres nothing to stop him writing out a cheque to CASH and taking it to the bank and coming back with the cash. You coudl also try the tactic that if he wants to pay cheque then he will have to wait until the cheque clears before you hand over any docs or sign anything.

Point out its a criminal offence to write a cheque knowing it will bounce, and if that no good to him then i'd have a Notice before Action already typed up, and give him 30 days to provide you with a working car or a cash refund, since you dont trust him not to bounce the cheque, and then if he doesnt pay up, take him to the Small Claims Court.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals