which house ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
5 replies 1K views
loanranger_4loanranger_4 Forumite
164 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Through profuse dithering we now have TWO offers accepted for properties that we really like. One is a decision ruled by heart (house1) and the other by head (house2). The details are :

house1.
Has been on the market a few months. We REALLY like this house, one of the best that we have seen, BUT it is on on the fringes of a roundabout (and thus has received little interest), you cannot miss the traffic noise when you are in the front/back gardens. It is also one of the most expensive houses in the street. We are concerned about the saleability of the property when we want to move on in a couple of years (and may have to invest in some earplugs if we move in! :) ) ( I can also buy the porsche!)

house2.
This is slightly more expensive and not as nice as house1, however it is in a much nicer area (quieter road, surrounded by more expensive property). It will probably increase in value more and be much easier to sell ! (But no porsche!). :(

Heart says buy house1, head says buy house2 !

I believe that the phrase 'Location, Location, Location' couldn't be more apt but something is stopping me from making a decision !

Any advice appreciated !!
Z

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation." Herman Melville.

Replies

• An old dilemma! Not quite fully apt in your case but the old saying...

Better to buy the worse house on the best street than the best house on the worse street.

...might help a little.

Also, you say you might only stay a couple of years - in that case it might be fair to say that the investment side of owning a house/re-saleability is more important to you than a dream home you plan to live in for a while. If true, I'd suggest going for number 2.
  • divadeedivadee Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what my opinions worth i would buy house 2, as the above poster said if your only going to live there for a few years you will probably have problems selling it as you said there has not been much interest so far. Also what if house prices do fall, people would be able to buy a better location cheaper, so you might end up living there for ages.
  • PalPal Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would buy neither. Keep looking. The fact that you posted about it means that neither house is right for you. Eventually a house will appear that you have no doubts over.

As with women there is no point in accepting second best unless it is very, very cheap!
  • Many Thanks All. We saw a little sense and reason gone with house2.

As much as I would have liked to keep looking (after over 30 viewings I was on first name terms with most of the agents) we've had enough! It's only our second home and for the moment at least this house will make us happy.

Thanks
    Z

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation." Herman Melville.
  • divadeedivadee Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    good decision loan ranger. enjoy your new home :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals