Evergreen for pot

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
6 replies 833 views
pink_poppypink_poppy Forumite
1.1K Posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I'd like to buy an evergreen plant that would be suitable for a largeish terracotta pot. It's to block out a neighbour & I was initially thinking of a 'standard' as it's only the top half that needs to be bushy. I'd like it to be about 5'6" :rotfl: or about that height. Ideally it would suit a Japanese theme. I had thought about a bamboo but not sure it would be dense enough??

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thanks.
Caledonia dreamin' ...

Replies

• edited 29 June 2012 at 8:04AM
    blossomhill_2blossomhill_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 June 2012 at 8:04AM
    How about photinia red robin? Makes a nice standard, can be clipped back to keep within pot size and every few years just tip it out, slice off about a fifth of the roots (vertical slice), pop back into pot and fill the gap with new compost to keep it lively

{PS - is your neighbour 5' 6" then? ]
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grow Bay as standards. Takes a while, unless you want to pay for a ready-made one, but it has the advantage of always being there when making spaghetti bolognese. :)

Pittosporum make nice standards too. Smaller leaves and respond well to clipping. Again, will take time to reach full size.

Maybe you need a stop gap plant to hold the line until something classier makes it to 5' 6"?
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • pink_poppypink_poppy Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both :)

I've googled & I love the look of the photinia so that's a definite maybe, I have a feeling I saw one of those in Morrison's the other week (not a standard) so will have a look next time I'm in there.

A bay is a brilliant idea ~ much better to have fresh leaves than the shrivelled up ones I usually buy for my spag bol!!

Never come across pittosporum so that needs further investigation, looks nice from the google images though.

It's me that's 5'6" ~ I just wanted something bushy at head height so I can avoid eye contact (& subsequent polite conversation) with my neighbour :rotfl: I'm really not an anti-social so & so, just sometimes I'd like to go outside & not feel I have to acknowledge them, iyswim :o

Anyway, I have £20 in garden centre gift vouchers so I'm hoping that will buy me a more established plant & I don't mind putting a bit more cash towards a bigger plant if needs be.

Thanks so much for your help :)
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I know that you asked for plant ideas but I put a bird table where I needed that bit of privacy. About £12 from B&Q. If the birds use it that's a bonus and I can always move it when my sambucous nigra in a pot gets a bit bigger... :) Maybe you can hang birdfeeders or hanging baskets in the strategic spot as a temporary measure?
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • pink_poppypink_poppy Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Eenymeeny, the bit I want to make more private is probably a bit too near a window to put a bird feeder, but I like the idea of a hanging basket. I think I've seen freestanding structures for hanging baskets before, just have to remember where I've seen them!! Good idea to have something other than a plant in a pot, thanks for that :)
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
  • edited 30 June 2012 at 3:53PM
    EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2012 at 3:53PM
    Pleased to help. My lonely next door neighbour looks into my garden from her kitchen. At times I felt like I was on cctv! Sometimes it's not good to talk eh? :)
    (I also decided that I just wanted some 'cover' in the summer when I was popping out to hang washing etc. Not entirely heartless!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals