Cycle trailers.

Options
Does anyone on here use a cycle trailer for a disabled child. My DS is 7 (although small for his age) and unable to ride a bike. The other children like cycling and I am considering getting a trailer for DS to sit in behind my bike.

Any pointers would be great!
SPC #1813
Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D

Comments

• skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    we used one for DS until he was about 10 and got a trike. His was like an extra wheel with a seat - this is the 2012 version but ours was similar (the i-go one)

http://www.cycletrailercentre.co.uk/trailers.html#weehoo

We picked this because it idn't look like a special needs trailer, and had a lot more back support and stability than the normal childrens-extra-wheel-clip-on type.

Friends have the buggy style for their son who is 6 but he is quite big for his age and is looking a bit squashed now.
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    LunaLady wrote: »
    Does anyone on here use a cycle trailer for a disabled child. My DS is 7 (although small for his age) and unable to ride a bike. The other children like cycling and I am considering getting a trailer for DS to sit in behind my bike.

Any pointers would be great!

personally i find trailers dont work so well, once children get heavier, as they drag, and tend to pull the bike backwards, meaning going up a hill or slight incline is tough going. i prefer to use an adult tricycle that has seats on the back (facing away from rider)

pashley used to make one, so only available 2nd-hand (but still not that cheap), or trikidoo (which is more like a rickshaw)

F
  • fisher-rider
    Options
    we bought a weehoo igo for our DS seven year old. this has a three point harness and foot straps but only one wheel, which makes it almost undetectable. highly recomended. if you are in the south of england and would like a demo, please inbox me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure