Broken tumble dryer

as is the way in our house, we tend to have a run of "needing" to replace things, unfortunately this week in addition to needing new mattresses for the kids beds, my much loved and extremely well used Tumble Dryer has decided that it doesn t want to heat up any longer. So after trawling the web with little success, I m hoping that someone here may be able to save me a packet by advising whether or not a repair job might suffice?

It appears that all other functions are working (the drum is turning, timer is checking down) so I presume that it must be an element fault. Does anyone know whether these can be repaired? or alternatively where I might get a replacement part?

Many thanks.
Ali

Comments

• rayed
    rayed Posts: 37 Forumite
    Most tumble driers have a thermal cut-out which turns off the heat if they opverheat, usually if the vent/filter is blocked with fluff. The cut-out can usually be reset by pressing a button on the rear of the machine.

It may be worth looking at this first.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • not sure if most people know this but if your appliance is under 5 years old and out of the first 12 months free parts and labour warranty that the manufacturer will guarrantee parts for the first five years - they will charge a call out fee of around £80 but thats it ....and whats more that part is then covered for 12 months. the motor and bearings have just gone in my washer/dryer - if it was over 5 years old it would be on the scrap heap by now but as it is im getting practically a new machine (apart from the case) for £80 not bad i thought?

not sure how old your tumble dryer is ?
    for parts / advise call the manufacturer - if you dont have any paperwork you will find most numbers in the back of the argos book!
  • BG_Porgy
    BG_Porgy Posts: 55 Forumite
    It could be just the thermal trip as sugested ....did someone switch it off before it had done the complete cycle ? If this happens it means that it does not have the final few minutes of running almost cold and can thermally trip out Some can be reset Others have to be replaced sometimes there are two and it is difficult to know which one is gone It is easy to do for any DIY er but the usual elec safety precautions have to be followed
    If it is old then the element may be US ..again this can be replaced as a DIY job check on manufacturers site for codes and then find the nearest domestic elec spares As with the machines themselves there is a lot of common parts
    Hope this helps
    BG Porgy
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    are you a reasonable diyer, if so, have you tried an elecrical tester on a couple of places 1st micro switch near to heat element and 2nd on the element itself, did this with 2 t. dryers 1st time replaced micro switch 50p other machine needed a new element got one from tip of same machine with damaged door for £3
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family