We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Registered company address - Barge
ninja2302
Posts: 32 Forumite
Hello,
This is a bit of a strange one, and I wasn't really sure which section is belongs in. But here we go:
My father in law is looking to move and live on a narrowboat/barge and has asked the question if he can use our address as a correspondence address for his bank/bills and everything as apparently it isn't possible to get a PO Box as he wouldn't have a permanent address.
He also a self employed driving instructor - Assuming he has actually registered the company (I can't seem to find it on companies house at the moment) he will I imagine need to change his company address. He hasn't asked the question yet, but what could be the implications on me and my partner should he change his company address to ours and he, for example, goes bust/into debt etc?
I'm just wary of anything that could affect our household etc. Is there anything to worry about?
Thanks for any advice. :beer:
This is a bit of a strange one, and I wasn't really sure which section is belongs in. But here we go:
My father in law is looking to move and live on a narrowboat/barge and has asked the question if he can use our address as a correspondence address for his bank/bills and everything as apparently it isn't possible to get a PO Box as he wouldn't have a permanent address.
He also a self employed driving instructor - Assuming he has actually registered the company (I can't seem to find it on companies house at the moment) he will I imagine need to change his company address. He hasn't asked the question yet, but what could be the implications on me and my partner should he change his company address to ours and he, for example, goes bust/into debt etc?
I'm just wary of anything that could affect our household etc. Is there anything to worry about?
Thanks for any advice. :beer:
0
Comments
-
Why do think he had set up a Limited Company? Most driving instructors are self employed so their details won't appear at companies house. I would have thought its better to have his accountants address for correspondence.Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.0
-
Thanks for your reply phil.
I'm not sure to be honest. Tend to keep my nose out of it, but your probably correct. AFAIK he does his accounts himself.
In terms of banks/credit cards etc then, can any debts etc reflect badly on the household? I just want to know if there are any risks in allowing him to use our address as a correspondence address?
Thanks.0 -
Your father-in-law can't be the only one with this issue. A quick Google reveals that there is at least one company - http://www.boatmail.co.uk/ - that happily provides PO boxes to people who live on canal boats.0
-
Is he planning to move the boat around? Because I had a colleague who lived on a boat, and it had its own address.Signature removed for peace of mind0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards