We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Mowing edge

sat_mad
sat_mad Posts: 79
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Hi,

We're looking to put a mowing edge in around our lawn, mainly to define it and separate it from gravel on one side beds on the other.

If we were to lay bricks length wise, rather than the traditional method of butting them short edge on, would they still prove useful for cutting the grass, or would the strip's width be too small?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Just so you know, the long side of a brick is called the stretcher, the squarish end is called the header, the recess in one face is a frog.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    sat_mad wrote: »
    Hi,

We're looking to put a mowing edge in around our lawn, mainly to define it and separate it from gravel on one side beds on the other.

If we were to lay bricks length wise, rather than the traditional method of butting them short edge on, would they still prove useful for cutting the grass, or would the strip's width be too small?

Many thanks.

Would work well as you describe. Had a new lawn this spring ( timed it well with the 'hose pipe' :rotfl:ban )
    A mowing strip was the best thing ever, looks smart , and work well.
  • sat_mad
    sat_mad Posts: 79
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just so you know, the long side of a brick is called the stretcher, the squarish end is called the header, the recess in one face is a frog.

:) Much better than the long bit and short bit!
    wallbash wrote:
    Would work well as you describe. Had a new lawn this spring ( timed it well with the 'hose pipe' ban )
    A mowing strip was the best thing ever, looks smart , and work well.
    Thanks for that. I was worried that the width wouldn't be enough. It will certainly help reduce costs, and with the lawn being quite small, hopefully won't look out of proportion. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure