We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
PC ignoramous question about wi-fi
dodger1
Posts: 4,579 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
My PC (windows7) is not wi-fi ready so I've done a bit of seaching and it appears all I need is a usb wireless adaptor plugged into my PC. My router is wireless enabled so is this all I need and what else should I know if this is correct. Totally useless with these things (I'm old) so simple language please
It's someone else's fault.
0
Comments
-
That's basically it! The USB Wireless Adapter will come with a CD, so that you can install the appropriate driver. Do you have one in mind?
You need to set up a wireless connection password on the router, which you have to type in again on the PC when you first connect wirelessly. See whether the router supports WPA2...
The PC and the router should be 'fairly' close together for the wireless signal to reach the PC. If you said what router you have, and how far it is from the PC (a different room? a different floor?) then more comments could be made.0 -
That's basically it! The USB Wireless Adapter will come with a CD, so that you can install the appropriate driver. Do you have one in mind?
You need to set up a wireless connection password on the router, which you have to type in again on the PC when you first connect wirelessly. See whether the router supports WPA2...
The PC and the router should be 'fairly' close together for the wireless signal to reach the PC. If you said what router you have, and how far it is from the PC (a different room? a different floor?) then more comments could be made.
Well I'm moving home and the telephone point will be about 4m from the PC but in the same room. I assume the router will be plugged into the telephone point and the signal sent to the PC 4m away. I don't have a particular wireless adaptor in mind, any suggestions?
My present router is a D-Link DSL 2640R. The WLAN light is unlit, I suppose this only lights up when a wi-fi connection is set up. How do I find out if this router supports WPA2 whatever that is and is that important.
How do I set up a wireless connection password on my router? Sorry just thick with these things. If my present router isn't up to it quite happy to purchase something that is.
Thanks for your help.It's someone else's fault.0 -
Huh?My PC (windows7) is not wi-fi ready so I've done a bit of seaching and it appears all I need is a usb wireless adaptor plugged into my PC. My router is wireless enabled so is this all I need and what else should I know if this is correct. Totally useless with these things (I'm old) so simple language please
Unless I have the wrong end of the stick Windows 7 = modern PC.
If it's a laptop or netbook then it should be wireless enabled already.
Make and model of PC please.
Otherwise, +1 for John Gray's suggestion.
Dave0 -
PC is from Novatech and is a Renegade X6 1055T - 4GB - 1TB. I've looked under control panel > network and internet and there is nothing about wifi so guessed it wasn't there.It's someone else's fault.0
-
Why do you want to go wireless with your set up, a 5m length of Ethernet cable would do a better job.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Cat5e-Snagless-Patch-Cable/dp/B00006464Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1340030379&sr=8-7
........and cheaper.That gum you like is coming back in style.0 -
Why do you want to go wireless with your set up, a 5m length of Ethernet cable would do a better job.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Cat5e-Snagless-Patch-Cable/dp/B00006464Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1340030379&sr=8-7
........and cheaper.
And it would be a faster more reliable connection as well! No need also for WIFI passwords etc
Useful is beautiful0 -
No software to install either!swvillafan wrote: »And it would be a faster more reliable connection as well! No need also for WIFI passwords etc
0 -
Agreed with all the above, 'specially if the router and PC are within throwing distance! Ethernet is "always" more reliable than wireless, and has almost no security problems.
But don't buy the ethernet patch cable from PC World, please! 5m of ethernet patch cable shouldn't cost more than a few quid. Here you are: 95p from Amazon! (But measure the actual distance round the walls, or wherever, before buying...)0 -
The main reason for going wireless was the cable would have to pass by the kitchen door and a cupboard door but I suppose I could get the cable and get it put around the edge of the room before the carpet is fitted. I didn't realise that wifi wasn't as reliable as wired, just assumed modern equipment had done away with connection problems.It's someone else's fault.0
-
The main reason for going wireless was the cable would have to pass by the kitchen door and a cupboard door but I suppose I could get the cable and get it put around the edge of the room before the carpet is fitted. I didn't realise that wifi wasn't as reliable as wired, just assumed modern equipment had done away with connection problems.
The problem these days is that everybody and his dog now has a wireless router. So the very limited wavebands are becoming increasingly cluttered. Unless you live in the countryside, whichever band you pick will end up being shared by one or more of your neighbours.If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
