Planing for getting older, what have you done?

Options
Living quite happily on my pension but wondering if there are things I should be doing now to make life easier as I get older. What have you or do you plan to do make life more comfortable in the future? I don't want to look back in say 10 years and wish I'd done this that or the other.

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    It has been done over a period of years. We've done our best to make this bungalow as user-friendly, comfortable and convenient as possible. A few years ago now we had both the bathroom and the kitchen modernised and made as convenient and modern as possible and, regarding the bathroom, we had the bath ripped out and a shower-cubicle installed. Just 4 years ago I had this replaced by a more modern step-in shower cubicle with a much lower step-in, this was because DH had had so much trouble with left knee replacement, the 3rd one blew up an infection which went to septicaemia and nearly killed him, then he had the 4th replacement of same knee. Bathroom and kitchen walls are extensively tiled rather than needing to be repainted.

We've replaced our car with an automatic, one which we can both use comfortably. We do a lot of shopping online and get groceries delivered. We also do online banking. Everything we pay out regularly is on direct debit from the joint account which we both fund every month.

I suppose the first thing that happened was when my late first husband and I decided to move from a 3-storey 1850s weaver's cottage in the Pennines to a 2-bedroom 1930s Essex bungalow, that was in 1990. I couldn't imagine coping with not one but 2 lots of stairs now!
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • monkeyspanner
    monkeyspanner Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    Options
    If your pension is private and not inflation linked it would be a good idea to think what effect inflation might have on your real income over the years. Does any one else rely on your pension income if so think about life insurance it will be cheaper the younger you are. If you have spare funds think about modifying property to reduce energy bills or buying a car which is more energy efficient.
    I suppose the biggest move for most people is downsizing to a smaller property if left too late it becomes difficult.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A couple of practical things are make a will and make provision to pay for your funeral. Again (sounding a bit morbid I know) if you intend to be buried I would purchase the plot, as the price goes up nearly every year.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we moved to a house that is very well insulated and costs little to heat. It is easy to maintain and we did the tiered back garden in different shades of gravels and slate with easy access raised beds. I have lots of large pots and planters which I know could go, if necessary and the garden would still be lovely to sit in

The bus stops a 3 minute walk away and there is a two hourly bus service through the village, so we could get out without a car

We used savings to replace our washing machine for a very good model with a 10 year warranty and we replaced some soft seating by leather recliners. Our bed is two electric singles joined together and we do sleep better

We didn`t do life insurance as we have no mortgage and a savings pot

We did downsize to a certain extent ie we moved from 1/3 acre and lots of family possessions to `things` that are mainly for dh and I

I do find that we are getting stiffer and more achey and one of dh`s hip replacements is a worry now so the attitude of mind has to change ie to accept that you become unable to do everything and not to be afraid to ask family to help if needed
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We live each day as if it will be our last - 'cos one day it will be and we try very hard never to refuse an invitation anywhere - we've had some brilliant times (often unexpected)!
    One thing we've learnt along the way - if you want to give your God a laugh - tell him your Plans........
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 June 2012 at 7:09AM
    Options
    Nothing particularly as yet, (early 60s and now working again after eight years of retirement :)) but we are going to buy funerals and will downsize to a ground floor apartment at some point. There are several nice apartment complexes round here (not retirement complexes, although there are a couple of those too), so we have plenty of choice.

I LOVE beebeedee's advice and intend to live by it! By far the best way to be.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Moving from accommodation with stairs seems to be a high priority and probably best done before forced to by necessity.

If you can afford it, go on as many holidays as possible while you're active enough to enjoy them.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I vote for doing as much gallivanting while we've got the energy and before inflation spoils savings. :D
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would recommend setting up a Lasting Power of Attorney, it's far better to do this now while you are still able to specify your wishes, than for your relatives to be forced to go to the Court of Protection to do it later should you be unfortunate enough to find yourself unable to manage your own affairs.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I would recommend setting up a Lasting Power of Attorney, it's far better to do this now while you are still able to specify your wishes, than for your relatives to be forced to go to the Court of Protection to do it later should you be unfortunate enough to find yourself unable to manage your own affairs.

That rather depends on your having somebody to appoint and also having someone you would trust to act in your best interests!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure