We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Internet Explorer Pages Problems

On XP, laptop 4 years old and using IE8 I am getting loads of problems with slow loading pages, hourglass showing and the hand with pointed finger showing.

I have always done regular virus & malware checks & ran CCleaner and all been fine until the past week or so.

I uninstalled IE8 and found I was left with IE7 which ran updates and so back with IE8.

I have again taken off stuff I don't need whether files or software. I have done a full virus, Malware Bytes and CC scan and all seemed OK for a day or two but again today back to the poor responsive performance.

Any more ideas what I can try :(
«1

Comments

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,629 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Try a different browser, like Chrome, and see if it's still slow. IE8 will still be there, so you won't be losing it.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    You haven't mentioned deleting temporary internet files.

    Tools > Internet Options
    How do I add a signature?
  • robmar0se
    robmar0se Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You need to reset IE back to factory settings.

    Goto the control panel then internet options, then advanced, then click on reset. After the reset do the same but instead of Advanced click pn Programs, then click on "manage add-ons", advise that all are disabled except any antivirus addons.

    When you next go into IE you will see the same set-up pages as if you had just installed it etc.

    Should load much faster now.
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    victor2 wrote: »
    Try a different browser, like Chrome, and see if it's still slow. IE8 will still be there, so you won't be losing it.

    Good point but I was trying to avoid this as my wife uses this laptop a lot and she has everything set up to suit her. I assume Chrome favorites can be set up easily and you can import from IE?
    Figment wrote: »
    You haven't mentioned deleting temporary internet files.

    Tools > Internet Options

    Yes done as part of CCleaner - I think but I will check to make sure.
    robmar0se wrote: »
    You need to reset IE back to factory settings.

    Goto the control panel then internet options, then advanced, then click on reset. After the reset do the same but instead of Advanced click pn Programs, then click on "manage add-ons", advise that all are disabled except any antivirus addons.

    When you next go into IE you will see the same set-up pages as if you had just installed it etc.

    Should load much faster now.

    I will try all this in a mo.

    Thanks to all for help.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,629 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    luminated wrote: »
    Good point but I was trying to avoid this as my wife uses this laptop a lot and she has everything set up to suit her. I assume Chrome favorites can be set up easily and you can import from IE?
    I seem to remember it offers to import your favourites as you install it, just don't make it your default browser and don't let it install anything else it may suggest, and your wife probably won't even know it's there!
    Other suggestions may fix it anyway. IE8 was driving me crazy, but IE9 came along just in time and as I had Win 7, I was able to install it, unlike XP, where you're stuck with IE8.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Just done all advised and will now see how I get on :eek:
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    victor2 wrote: »
    I seem to remember it offers to import your favourites as you install it, just don't make it your default browser and don't let it install anything else it may suggest, and your wife probably won't even know it's there!
    Other suggestions may fix it anyway. IE8 was driving me crazy, but IE9 came along just in time and as I had Win 7, I was able to install it, unlike XP, where you're stuck with IE8.

    I am getting a new laptop soon and will have IE9 so should be OK. But I must try and resolve, or change the browser as my wife will still get this old lappy to use :D
  • Sosdon
    Sosdon Posts: 480 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I had issues with IE , started using Google Chrome , i wouldn't use anything else now , easy to use , imports all your faves from IE.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    follow the speedup sticky.

    Putting chrome on adds more bloat and google tracking.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Why dont you try out firefox, its worked well for me.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.