Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?

Options

Comments

• geekgirl
    geekgirl Posts: 998 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Well clearly some people take them when they aren't prescribed, aren't needed, aren't the appropriate antibiotic for the infection if there even is an infection and don't follow the best practice guidelines for dosage and length of course. Hence the problems we're starting to see now.

Hopefully not any of the posters here, but advising stockpiling is not really a great idea.

You have heard of antibiotic resistance surely? You are aware that its a huge problem and a bit of a ticking timebomb?

Yes I am aware of antibiotic resistance. When I start to get cellulitis I have to take antibiotics whether I want them or not. I have always avoided taking any tablets that I do not have to take for me or my children. I have the choice to take them orally, or if I don't take them soon enough then I end up very sick, in hospital having a higher dose for longer intravenously.

Here is an extract from a website about cellulitis.

Possible complications of untreated cellulitis include:

Septicaemia (blood poisoning) which can be life-threatening.
    An abscess forming (a ball of pus in the infected area).
    Muscle or bone infections which can be serious.
    A cellulitis around an eye can spread to infect the brain.
    Bacteria that get into the bloodstream can cause an infection of the heart valves.
    Also, if the cellulitis is severe before it is treated, it can leave long-term damage to lymph drainage from affected tissues. This means that in some cases the swelling of tissues may remain, become worse, and can become permanent after the infection has gone.

Cellulitis is one of the things that you should take antibiotics for.
  • geekgirl
    edited 17 June 2012 at 11:16PM
    Options
    missprice wrote: »
    Well I learned summat today:)

never knew you could have a course of antibiotics on hand so to speak for when your ill.
    I don't at the moment have many chest infections, but at one point I was having 2 or 3 a year and leaving it til the last minute to see doc, even though I knew one was on its way, and therefore being worse for longer

Well next time I see my very nice GP I shall be asking if I too can have a course spare, although last time I was ill it was pneumonia and oh god was I ever ill. but even then I left it till I was barely breathing to see the GP, I have this odd feeling that unless I am obviously ill he wont believe me thats why I leave it so late:)

I have only been able to have a course of antibiotics with me at all times as I have had repeated bouts of cellulitis i.e. every 5 weeks then lasting for 2 weeks at a time. The symptoms of cellulitis are very easy to spot, it is obvious what it is. I have permanent damage to my body from getting cellulitis and myself and my gp do not want me to get more permanent damage. I have had other infections which are not cellulitis and I don't take antibiotics for that, I let my body fight it.

Forgot to say that each time I have had to take them, once I can leave the house again I have to go to my GP, talk through with him what happened the symptoms anything unusual about the infection etc. and I am resisting having permanent antibiotics. They want me on them for 3 years continuously (prosthetic treatment) but I don't want to take them unless I actually need them.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    geekgirl wrote: »

Cellulitis is one of the things that you should take antibiotics for.

I am aware of cellulitis.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have them when you need them, just that you shouldn't be stockpiling themselves and deciding on your own drug, dosage and course length. You should be seeing a doctor who will do that.
  • geekgirl
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    I am aware of cellulitis.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have them when you need them, just that you shouldn't be stockpiling themselves and deciding on your own drug, dosage and course length. You should be seeing a doctor who will do that.

My GP does that, each time I have cellulitis he prescribes me another course for when it strikes next. Then I have another consultation with him after that, he decides the dose, the course length and the drug.
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    geekgirl wrote: »
    My GP does that, each time I have cellulitis he prescribes me another course for when it strikes next. Then I have another consultation with him after that, he decides the dose, the course length and the drug.
    That's the way it should be. The resistance isn't caused by people like you it is caused by others that dash themselves or their children to the GP for an infection that would clear of its own volition if given time.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's the way it should be. The resistance isn't caused by people like you it is caused by others that dash themselves or their children to the GP for an infection that would clear of its own volition if given time.

No - it's caused by GP's prescribing abs for these people, and the folk who only take part of the course.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Another tip for using walk-in centres during doctors' out-of-hours times.

If you ring the NHS helpline and explain your symptoms they will put you through to a qualified person who will assess your condition. If they think you need treatment they will make you an appointment at the walk-in centre which, at busy times, means you do not have to wait for hours in a queue.

Of course, this only works if you really need attention - if it's something trivial, no appointment would be made, so you would just have to take your turn in the queue.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Options
    When I went to the walk in centre they said my GP had to see me so I got first appointment today, and he prescribed the antibiotics.

It's a 7 day course so hopefully that'll get the infection under control.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like different walk in centres have different rules. OH has been applying Manuka honey to his leg (you can also take it orally) and it seems to have helped clear it up a lot quicker than last time.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    Looks like different walk in centres have different rules. OH has been applying Manuka honey to his leg (you can also take it orally) and it seems to have helped clear it up a lot quicker than last time.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

My old auntie used to swear by Manuka honey for infections. Might be worth a try.

My GP rang me this morning to say he'd left another prescription for me to collect at reception for a further course of antibiotics.

He says I should keep them so they'll be immediately to hand if the infection recurs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure