How would you rate your home phone/broadband provider(s)?

Options
Former_MSE_Becca
Former_MSE_Becca Posts: 250 Forumite
edited 11 June 2012 at 5:16PM in MoneySaving polls

Poll started 11 June 2012, click here to vote

How do you rate your telecoms provider?

The best telecoms providers for price can be the worst for customer service. So, we want to know about your experiences with your current home phone and broadband providers (not mobile broadband).

If you have a bundled package (ie same provider for phone and broadband), vote twice but pick the same provider for each.

For each of the following providers, you can vote Good, OK or Poor:

24Talk
AAISP
AOL
Aquiss
Auracall
BE
BT
Demon
Direct Save Telecom
Eclipse
Fast
Firefly
Greenbee/Waitrose
IDNET
Karoo (Kingston Communications)
KC Talk (Kingston Communications)
Madasafish
O2
Orange
Pipex (now TalkTalk)
Plusnet
Post Office
Primus
Sky
Smallworld
Southern Electric
TalkTalk (incl Onetel, Freedom2Surf & Bulldog)
Tesco
The Phone Co-op
Tiscali (now TalkTalk)
Utility Warehouse
Virgin Media (cable)
Virgin National (non-cable)
Vodafone At Home
YourCalls.net
Zen

Or select:

I don't have home broadband
I don't have a home phone

If your broadband or home phone provider is not listed, please add it to the forum discussion below. We only include the main ones from feedback.

NOTE: This poll is on consumer home phone and broadband providers, and not business providers.

Thanks,
MSE Becca

Comments

• Kinanswer
    Options
    I use UKFSN as my internet provider, and very happy with the service/support they've given me over the years.
  • comeonengland
    Options
    i use for line rentals and calls only (not b/band as i use BT infinity) a little companty with excellent prices and v good customer help

Simply Fone

found them here on MSE who mentions them on the Lowest intenational call checker thingie
  • gins55
    gins55 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there was an "absolutely dreadful" button I would have selected that for BT broadband. An ongoing faulty line/dropping connection is still unresolved after several months. The call centre in India apologise, say they will help, ring back and nothing happens. They are one of the most expensive providers and have the worst service I have ever experienced.
    They claim that their fee is because they provide the hardware - we have 0.5meg.
  • reddbamboo
    Options
    I think the Utility Warehouse comment is extremely unfair as I was a customer for 6 months and was recommending them to all I knew because of the great service I was receiving!! Becoming a distributor seemed a sensible thing! All the big companies offer incentives to their customers to get them to recommend to their friends, what's the difference. They also offer their employees better deals which Utility Warehouse do not do! I pay the same as everyone I sign up!

If you check the last set of company results, you will find that as of 30 March 2012, Utility Warehouse supply 402,530 customer accounts and have 35,536 distributors. This would mean that 91% of its customer base have no financial interest in this company.
  • Bugdust
    Bugdust Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Reddbamboo your statistics are correct. I too am a little confused by the comment about Utility Warehouse as it is irrelevant. The vast majority of customer have no financial interest in the business. I wonder what percentage of other companies customers are also employees.
  • Bugdust
    Bugdust Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    gins55 wrote: »
    If there was an "absolutely dreadful" button I would have selected that for BT broadband. An ongoing faulty line/dropping connection is still unresolved after several months. The call centre in India apologise, say they will help, ring back and nothing happens. They are one of the most expensive providers and have the worst service I have ever experienced.
    They claim that their fee is because they provide the hardware - we have 0.5meg.
    Ginns55 I had such a bad experience with BT I ended up paying to get out of our contract. I haven't been a customer with them for over a year now and they are still chasing me for money claiming I haven't paid a bill for a house I don't even live in. I am also getting letters from them saying they owe us a rebate! Can't quite weigh that one up.
  • flyingflea
    flyingflea Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I'm with O2 for my phone and broadband. I was promised 5-6mb when I signed up but only get 2-3mb. I have been on the phone to them on nearly a weekly basis trying to get it fixed.

However after getting various engineers to look into it the upshot of it is that they refuse to do anything about the identified surrounding area line fault because I am still getting more than 2mb which is their minimum threshold before they will fix faults.

It's because of this I'm giving them a poor rating and switching ISP (once my Quidco tracks of course ;)).
  • smileylunar
    smileylunar Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    As a customer, not a distributor,of utility warehouse, I also find the comments on the poll, regarding bias, a tad unfair. Unless everyone who takes the poll is required to declare any personal interests to any of the companies they are voting on the results may be skewed?! Peoples who work and are employed by any of the service providers may be encouraged to vote for their companies in order to create a biased result, therefore not a true and honest reference point for any potential new/existing customers....
    when things go wrong, Don't go with them!
  • reddbamboo
    Options
    flyingflea wrote: »
    I'm with O2 for my phone and broadband. I was promised 5-6mb when I signed up but only get 2-3mb. I have been on the phone to them on nearly a weekly basis trying to get it fixed.

However after getting various engineers to look into it the upshot of it is that they refuse to do anything about the identified surrounding area line fault because I am still getting more than 2mb which is their minimum threshold before they will fix faults.

It's because of this I'm giving them a poor rating and switching ISP (once my Quidco tracks of course ;)).

I have found that no matter what your broadband provider promises, the speed is determined by your local phone exchange. So changing provider might not make any difference.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am a happy BT customer :j

I have their phone,TV and BB package.

I used to be a Virgin customer and was disgusted with all their price increases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure