We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MB x minutes
Ladywriter1968
Posts: 913 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
How many MB are they in a 1 minute video?
10 min video?
5 min video?
you tube vids?
I want to know so when I put onto DVD I know how many I can get on, as my programme only shows MB and not minutes used.
10 min video?
5 min video?
you tube vids?
I want to know so when I put onto DVD I know how many I can get on, as my programme only shows MB and not minutes used.
0
Comments
-
Most DVDs have a capacity of around 4.7GB, so if you know how big your files are you can work out roughly how many of them will fit on a single DVD. It's impossible to relate file size to playing duration without knowing the resolution and frame rate that they were filmed at. But as an example, a 90 second video that I took on my camera is 97MB.
Edited to add, if you download Video Lan and use it as the default programme for all your video files then hovering over them will tell you both the size and the duration. It's a useful programme to have anyway as it will play most video formats. You can get it for free here http://www.videolan.org/index.html0 -
Depends on the encoding, I'm afraid.
A DVD-R can hold 2 hours of "high quality" video or up to 6 hours if the quality is reduced.
The final viewing quality is a combination of the encoding quality and the quality of the original video file.
For example, a film "ripped" from DVD so that it's about 800meg will typically re-encode to give a watchable (but not "DVD quality") DVD.
If you're converting videos, always use the maximum quality settings you can because the quality of the feed is poor to begin with. So, aim for 2 hours of video per DVD-R.I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.
But, if the white runs out, I'll drink the red.0 -
as far as i know the minutes dont relate to the mbs... i used to burn tons of mp3 songs onto cdrs - these are 80min / 700mb discs - i had more then 80mins of songs, as it was a data disc.
if you burn the video files as data to the dvd then you can ignore the length and just work out the size - so if disc holds 4.7 gigs you can get 4 feature films on there as mp4 rips for example or you could get nearly 7 xvid files (another format used for movies)
the MB will relate to the quality and length so the higher the quality or longer the footage then the bigger the file will be.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards