We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best i5 17.3" laptop on a £700 budget?

After looking up the available options over the past couple of days, I've come to the decision the choice for my needs is between the following 3:

Lenovo G770
Acer 7750G
Toshiba L875-10G

Which of these would you choose and why? Would you increase your budget by a couple of hundred pounds to get an i7 for future proofing even if right now an i7 would be a bit excessive? The G770 has an i7 option for around £750 there is also the Samsung RF711, and not forgetting Dell?

Unfortunately I'm unable to post links as a new user.

Which of these would you choose? 4 votes

Lenovo G770
25% 1 vote
Acer 7750G
0% 0 votes
Toshiba L875-10G
25% 1 vote
Other
50% 2 votes

Comments

  • I have an Acer - it's awful.
    My son had an Acer - it's bust.
    My daughter had an Acer - it's bust.

    Motto: Don't get an Acer.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,203 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    None of those for obvious reasons -
    £700 to do what exactly
    I would spend £400 on my needs and then extend my drinking budget by the £300 change :beer:
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • BlueC
    BlueC Posts: 734 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have an Acer - it's awful.
    My son had an Acer - it's bust.
    My daughter had an Acer - it's bust.

    Motto: Don't get an Acer.

    Seeing as we're using anecdotal evidence to make summary statements about Acer...

    I had an Acer laptop for 3 years. It was fantastic and never broke except when I spilled wine on it, and then Acer fixed it for free including courier collection and delivery. I sold it for a fair whack even after 3 years too.

    My mum has had an Acer laptop for about 5 years. It is fantastic and has never broke. Prior to that she had another one for about 5 years. It was fantastic and never broke,

    My girlfriends Mum has had an Acer laptop for about 3 years. Yes it is fantastic and has never broke.

    My girlfriends sister has had an Acer laptop for about 2 years. You guessed it, it's fantastic and has never broke.

    I have an Acer android phone. It is brilliant and for £130 a total bargain.

    Motto: buy an Acer!

    I recommend Acer because their 3 year warranty including accidental damage is a bargain, and for lower end laptops they are great value.

    For a higher end, and of the ones you've shortlisted, I'd go for the Lenovo because I think their build quality is superior. But then I'd never buy a 17" laptop because they are ludicrously large and heavy.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.