British Gas ignoring complaint

Options
spidereyes
spidereyes Posts: 257 Forumite
When I moved into my property several months ago, it had a pre-payment meter for electricity installed. I wanted to get this changed as soon as possible and British Gas who were already supplying the property told me to wait a month and I could have it removed.

Last month I went about the process of getting the pre-payment meter removed, booked the appointment etc, and had a letter in the post to confirm this.

I took a day off work to be home for when the engineer was due to come, sometime between 12-4.
An engineer never turned up, I phoned British Gas at 4 to question this. The person I spoke to was so unhelpful and told me wrong information. They confirmed that an engineer had been booked for that time but insisted that the engineer was 'probably running late' and assured me that they would definitely be at the property by 5pm. I questioned how they could assure me of this but they insisted that if the engineer hadn't turned up by 5pm to phone them again.

Cue 5pm, no engineer and the phonelines are impossible to get through on. Automated messages keep telling me that unless me call is urgent (ie I have no electric) then I should hang up and re-dial tomorrow!
After being kept on hold for 45 minutes with no joy of getting through I had to give up.

Around 7:30 I tried again and finally managed to get through to someone, who again wasn't that helpful. They told me they 'understand I must be frustrated' but the only thing they could do was to re-book the appointment as the engineer definitely won't be coming now.
Obviously I questioned whether anyone was going to actually turn up if I re-booked and explained that due to the incompetency I now had to take another day off work.
Bearing in mind, prior to this date I had been told by British Gas, by phone and letter that I had to run down the credit on the meter as much as possible as any balance could not be transferred. I now was told that despite British Gas's failure to attend my property on the agreed date, I could not have priority for the following day, instead had to wait a further 5 days to have the meter removed.

I explained to the person I spoke to I was really not happy and they admitted the person I spoke to previously had given me wrong information and they should have chased the engineer.

I made a complaint using the online complaint form, and after 2 weeks heard nothing back (despite it stating response times were within 24hours). I then wrote a letter to British Gas complaints department and still have had no reply.

Upon finally having the meter removed, the engineer said I should hear from British gas regarding my new account, but told me not to expect anything as they rarely contact their customers! No surprises Ive had no correspondence from them since.

Not only have British Gas failed to keep pre-arranged appointments with no explanations, incurring expense to myself by having to take a second day off work. Their own staff have admitted I've been told wrong information, and even their engineers don't rate the customer service.
Adding to that they've failed to respond to my complaint within a reasonable timescale.

Comments

• Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    8 weeks after the complaint is raised, you can escalate it to the ombudsman. They get charged for this, it shows on the monthly complaints reports and affects their star ratings.

Since it was an agreed appointment, they owe you £22, if they don't pay this within 10 working days they have to pay a further £22.

So, on top of your complaint...you can add in which Guaranteed Standards Of Service (GSOS) which they have failed to make you aware of and act upon.

GSOS is set by Ofgem, they have to pay it. Even if the Meter Operator was at fault since you are the suppliers customer and they recover that cost of their agent.

Have a read through this thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3976697
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    Thank you for this, I too appear to be being ignored by BG when their Installation engineer failed to turn up for an appointment I had taken time off work for.

I will go and read the other thread now. Thanks.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for this, I too appear to be being ignored by BG when their Installation engineer failed to turn up for an appointment I had taken time off work for.

I will go and read the other thread now. Thanks.

Whilst yours doesn't apply as its not meter works, the principle is the same. You might find that these value added services are a bit behind the sector and may not understand the inconvenience which was often the take years ago by unsympathetic people in suppliers.

They are the same company after all.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • davidinbmth
    davidinbmth Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    How many people know that you only get the 6 percent Direct Debit discount on elec and gas WHEN your account is in credit.
    Just worked out how much my elderly parents have lost over the last three years as they were always 50 pounds or so in debit which i assumed was a good place to be .
    Hey Ho found out I was wrong when i really checked the very small print ..
    I have to say i had a sense of humour failure and am looking to move to a new more ethical supplier when and if I find one .
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never heard of that before. Direct debit discount has always been shown on my bill regardless of whether I've been in debit or credit...never been with British Gas though.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are they Engineers?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    How many people know that you only get the 6 percent Direct Debit discount on elec and gas WHEN your account is in credit.
    Just worked out how much my elderly parents have lost over the last three years as they were always 50 pounds or so in debit which i assumed was a good place to be .
    Hey Ho found out I was wrong when i really checked the very small print ..
    I have to say i had a sense of humour failure and am looking to move to a new more ethical supplier when and if I find one .

Not many because it's not true ;)

The 6% discount is applied to the cost applied, and is not related to the account balance at all.

The exception is that if you have an outstanding balance, over 28 days old, then the discount does not apply, unless you are on one of their standing charge tariffs.
    http://www.britishgas.co.uk/HelpAndAdvice/Solution/?solutionID=3396

But it would be unusual to have an outstanding balance. (That is not the same as having an account in debit)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure