Financial Ombudsman Complaint Timescale Help

Options
Hi,

I submitted a complaint / request to The Financial Ombudsman for a refund on my PPI from Welcome Finance approximately 8weeks ago. The letter i received said due to the high amount of complaints it could take up to a year to settle.

Clearly, or more hopefully, this is an exaggerated timescale. Has anyone in the very recent past submitted a claim to the ombudsman and how long did it take for the claim to be settled (one way or the other)...is it really going to take a year or was yours settled sooner?

Thanks

Comments

• garynuman
    garynuman Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MBNA rejected my complaint so I forwarded to the Ombudsman. That was end of June 2011.

Had 2 letters since explaining how busy they are - still no further news.

Sorry. You're in for the long-haul.

Gaz
  • teleop
    teleop Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    waller2012 wrote: »
    Hi,

I submitted a complaint / request to The Financial Ombudsman for a refund on my PPI from Welcome Finance approximately 8weeks ago. The letter i received said due to the high amount of complaints it could take up to a year to settle.

Clearly, or more hopefully, this is an exaggerated timescale. Has anyone in the very recent past submitted a claim to the ombudsman and how long did it take for the claim to be settled (one way or the other)...is it really going to take a year or was yours settled sooner?

Thanks
    Hi waller2012. I sent my complaint to FOS after MBNA rejected it. That was about 7 weeks ago . I have received a letter a week ago from FOS saying MBNA are going to settle. They said to give them 8 weeks if by then i have heard nothing from them then to get back in touch with them. To date i havent . So good luck.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    a year to 18 months is about right
  • teleop
    teleop Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    teleop wrote: »
    Hi waller2012. I sent my complaint to FOS after MBNA rejected it. That was about 7 weeks ago . I have received a letter a week ago from FOS saying MBNA are going to settle. They said to give them 8 weeks if by then i have heard nothing from them then to get back in touch with them. To date i havent . So good luck.
    I have today had letter from mbna saying they will send a cheque for £681 in 28 days. However i am not happy with that as i have paid PPI for 4 yrs & i feeel i am due more than this back . i was paying about £16 month .Also i think i should be paid for stress & inconvenience as i have had letters from mbna saying i was getting paid out then i wasnt this has gone on for months. i didnt need this ppi as i was fully covered by work. i would never have been able to claim on it anyway , even if i,d known what it was for.:eek:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also i think i should be paid for stress & inconvenience as i have had letters from mbna saying i was getting paid out then i wasnt this has gone on for months.

Is that stressful?

MBNA are not required to give anything above the FSA calculation and interest goes someway to cover this. However, if you dont like it, then you can always refer it to the FOS and wait upto 12 months for an answer. Also, if MBNA are offering a goodwill payment rather than an upheld complaint (check the wording) they may withdraw the offer if you go to the FOS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • topcatk_2
    topcatk_2 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Another one with a complaint about MBNA (do you notice a trend?)

Sent to FOS in February - has only just been reviewed by an adjudicator (two weeks ago) ....and if MBNA doesn't accept their findings, they told me today the timescale for the ombudsman to look at the case is a year (from now!).

HTH
  • nutty_nat
    nutty_nat Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, I sent my Central Trust case to the FOS in June 2011 it took until April 2012 to get passed over to an adjudicator. I think you have a wait infront of you yet. But hopefully you will get the outcome you are looking for and I kept saying to myself it is a free service I am using. Good luck I hope it goes your way.
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Top tip for moving your complaint on at the FOS. At the start when you email your complaint form, almost immediately (within days) does the financial business get requested to submit its case file and are given 2 weeks. If you email the FOS and ask for this case file once you have the letter with your case number, your case will be assigned to an adjudicator for them to say no. At this point, it will be up and running and must then conform to their normal deadlines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure