Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 93

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 12:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.6K views

Replies

• GreenFairyGreenFairy Forumite
    353 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Am feeling very blah today. Did some dishes and a couple of loads of washing - other than that have been wasting time online, which of course just makes me feel more blah.

NSD at least. Spoiled for choice as to what to have for dinner. Have the makings of about fifteen before I even have to start getting really creative. Still can't decide what to have lol

Tomorrow I'll have to do a little top up shop at the supermarket for tins of toms, salt, icing sugar, marg. Might get a couple of bags of pasta to add to the store cupboard.

Thursday pm is normally good in my local Ts for grabbing a few decent YS. They want everything cleared out before the weekend so I may take advantage :)
    GC totals 2020! Jan €341/€400. Feb €401.27/€400. Mar €430.21/€350. Apr €325/€400. May €219.82/€400.

Blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • edited 12 July 2012 at 3:57PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 July 2012 at 3:57PM
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Lavendar biscuits worked out ok...

and they're on the front page list ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jedi82jedi82 Forumite
    410 posts
    Hi everyone,

well, weather here today is awful, really heavy rain that hasn't stopped :(. Small spend of 0.80 on ibuprofen as went to the docs with my back and apparently it is muscle spasms which may have affected the nerve root so he has got me an appt with the physio. Other than that haven't felt like doing anything and me and DD2 had 'snuggle time' for 2 and 1/2 hours. I am so grateful she slept as really she is getting too old now but needed the rest today!

I was planning on going to L!dl tomorrow but really, apart from F&V I don't need to and so will get some in town and resist the temptation to buy more stuff. For the first time in ages, i am almost halfway through the month and have spent less than half my budget. Got to remain foccussed.

Had half a punnet of plums about to turn and so have cut them up, made up a crumble topping with oats and bunged it in the oven :) Kids will no doubt hate it but I can finish off what they don't want :rotfl:.

Hope everyones day is okay and drier than mine!

Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • KatyReed+5KatyReed+5 Forumite
    128 posts
    A £9.90 spend to add to my total as bought a bumper lot of fruit on the local market today. Hopefully should last us a couple of days.

Kids had mince, veg and gravy from the freezer with YS new pots tonight, i had the rest of yesterday sausage and bean casserole with new pots. They're having strawberry and ice cream for pudding right now, :D

A bit not GC related but i'm going to make some jelly with fruit in for the kids puddings and wondered what fruit stops jelly from setting. I have got bananas, strawberries, grapes, blueberries and oranges, hoping they're all ok, :D

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • sonastinsonastin Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Gah - another £12+ spent on *bits* last night in a$da. All stuff we're short of and will probably need before the end of July but the total is running away faster than the days at the moment!

I need some inspiration from you good folks. My ma gave me 1lb of strawberries from my gran's garden at the weekend. Neither me nor OH particularly like eating strawbs as a fruit - he grew up in hampshire and his mother picked strawberries for a living when he was younger so he's eaten a lifetimes worth already. I suffer really bad hayfever and a lot of fresh fruits set my mouth itching at this time of year. So what can we do with them that's not just a bowl of strawberries?

My original thought was jam but 1lb doesn't seem like it would be anywhere near enough for that, and I haven't got a clue where to start or whether I've got the right kit for it. We have a load of rhubarb in the garden which looks ripe for the picking. Do strawbs go with rhubarb?

I need inspiration PLEASE!!!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    think youre ok with those fruits in jelly, its kiwi that stops it setting
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon, Kitchenbunny checking in. My hands are aching a bit from scrubbing the kitchen floor so thought I'd take a break. Happily I can report an NSD today, but I do need some stuff tomorrow so will have to pop to the shops. Oh well.

We're having chicken drumsticks seasoned with some random spices and with a bacon and mushroom risotto. I want something nice and simple. :) Right, kitchen floor looks to be about dry so everything's got to go back in now. A woman's work is never done!

K xx

• PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    meg72 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Iceland ones, 4 for a pound, 3ply and really good,I got fed up of chasing offers and stick to these now

I don't get these, because our iceland is in town, and I never go there! Farmf00ds is right around the corner, I just haven't been able to get there lately, what with work, and jam making, and kiddy stuff!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sonastin wrote: »
    So what can we do with them that's not just a bowl of strawberries?

My original thought was jam but 1lb doesn't seem like it would be anywhere near enough for that, and I haven't got a clue where to start or whether I've got the right kit for it. We have a load of rhubarb in the garden which looks ripe for the picking. Do strawbs go with rhubarb?

I need inspiration PLEASE!!!!

Sonastin - how about strawberry muffins? I made some and they were lovely. I have the same issue with raspberries - don't like them 'as is' particularly but in muffins they are lovely hth.

In other news.....I baked some raspberry and white choc muffins this afternoon. Raspberries from the garden. They were okay....think I should've put more choc in (only put in 50g).

DD asked a friend home for tea (in front of me, which makes it really awkward to say 'NO') so the curry had to s-t-r-e-t-c-h. Luckily remembered that I had two large ys naans in the freezer, so broke them into pieces and did extra rice ;) Muffins for pud. Also had a twinks disaster as I put them in the oven with the muffins and they are over-done :( Edible, but not the same as usual.

Hugs to all those in need, particularly jedi82 with your poorly back - been there myself :(
    Cross-stitch WIP: Scissor Cradle by Jane Greenoff
  • smelkel87smelkel87 Forumite
    24 posts
    Im not officially 'in' for this month but have been reading this thread for a couple of weeks and have learnt so much from all you guys. I have set my self a budget and i have set up a spreadsheet to record what im spending and its working!! i dont enjoy adding amounts to it so its making me think more about buying stuff. Yesterday and today are both NSD and with my meal planning i should come in under target for the month!! YAY to me!!
    My meal planning doesnt seem to working as i planned but to my advantage... i seem to have lo's which go for another day which is good.
    Im buying a slow cooker tomorrow as im going in to hospital on sunday to have a baby and my super saver sister really recommends me getting one to save time and effort.
    Sorry for blabbing loads!! I'm new to all this but wanted to get in the habit of posting..
    January Grocery Challenge
    £84.49/£200
    :DMummy to Jack 16/07/2012:D
    20p Savers club Member #112