advice please

Hi, hope someone can assist - after reading of people's results on this forum I sent a letter to 'Lets work it out' section of Alliance & Leicester asking for account information regarding loans I had taken out with them late 90's but not paid off until 2004 giving them my addresses and surname changes. By accident I quoted 'freedom of information act' & enclosed a cheque for £10 and asking for a reply within 21 days. At today's date the cheque hasn't been cashed and I haven't heard anything. Could someone please advise what I need to do now. Thanking you in advance.:embarasse

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They have 40 days to reply, not 21.
  • Freshair
    Freshair Posts: 6 Forumite
    I'll sit on my hands then until after 40 days. Many thanks for your prompt reply:wave:
  • studapples
    studapples Posts: 19 Forumite
    If you still have no joy then get some help from financial Ombudsman service. No bank or financial institute want them on there backs.
  • Freshair
    what a coincidence - I received a reply this morning - rather funny really - I sent a copy of my marriage licence and gave changes of addresses but didnt give my date of birth or maiden name which I never realised weren't on the marriage licence (been married twice) which they are saying cant research until they have this info. So relieved they haven't fully rejected my request, Have now though requested info via a SAR letter and sent the same cheque back to them (they hadn't cashed it in & had returned) and with the info they require. Will keep you informed.

Thanks again Studapple :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you still have no joy then get some help from financial Ombudsman service. No bank or financial institute want them on there backs.

The FOS has no regulatory remit over the bank. A bank doesnt want to be wasting money on complaints but the FOS will not scare them. The role of the FOS isnt to scare the bank. It is to take an unbiased view of the complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • studapples
    studapples Posts: 19 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The FOS has no regulatory remit over the bank. A bank doesnt want to be wasting money on complaints but the FOS will not scare them. The role of the FOS isnt to scare the bank. It is to take an unbiased view of the complaint.

I beg to differ, after being given the offer of £120 I went to the FOS and within 2 weeks of them taking up my case I got back £1300 !!!!.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    studapples wrote: »
    I beg to differ, after being given the offer of £120 I went to the FOS and within 2 weeks of them taking up my case I got back £1300 !!!!.

That isnt the same as what you said though.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Freshair
    thanks everyone, will keep you informed though I'm not holding out too much hope as the loan was finished in 2005 (started late 90's with the insistance of me taking out PPI even though I'd never been unemployed - started working in 1977 - and was in a well paid job with good t&c's) :wave:
  • Hi Studapples and moneyineptitude

after waiting 63 days I have still not heard anything from Santandar so contacted them to be told that they aren't able to assist with any queries prior to 2006 as they havent any records. Asked why then had I received a reply from my initial letter asking for more detailed information regarding maiden name, dob etc, when my initial letter said loans between 1997-2005. Staff member then suggested for me to write again and again send copies of all letters via recorded delivery. Is this correct as (i) I thought they had to reply within 40 days and (ii) I've seen on this site members who received compensation for loans in 2005.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Hi has anyone got advice for the above query please

thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills