We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Nemaslugs and tortoises

Options
sam.4000
sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I just want to check that it is same to use nemaslugs with a tortoise in the garden. Everything I have read says Nemaslugs is safe with pets but I'm still scared incase it harms my tortoise.

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should check with one of the tortoise societies - anyone on here could say "yes, of course it's safe" - but what if they were wrong? Check with the experts
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nematodes only attack species they are adapted to breed from, so it would be very, very unlikely that they would move from soil or inside the body of a slug to a reptile, especially as tortoises are largely herbivorous and slugs form a tiny part of their diet.

Nematodes need soil to survive, so any spilled on vegetation will quickly die.

You could ask someone who's a tortoise expert. Remember though, that if you ask an astronomer if there's a chance you could be hit by an asteroid, he/she would be bound to say "Yes." ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure