Buying on gumtree - advice?

Options
Hi
Basically I posted an ad on gumtree about concert tickets (only 300 exist!) and most of the touts have them on for £200 min. Some guy messaged me offering me them at face vaue on the premise I'm not a tout myself. He said he'd post or I'd visit face to face now he says he's busy so he wants me to put money into his bank account via transfer (doesn't accept paypal). Now, yeah it looks suspicious but I asked him a photo of the tickets which he emailed me.
I'm just a bit wary of this since it's not paypal, do I have any protection?

Like I don't want to pass up on this once in a lifetime opportunity to see my favourite artists at face value instead of paying hundreds of pounds to touts.

Basically, if I pay him and it turns out to be a fraud, can my bank do anything? He's with the same bank as me btw.

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Every scam has 1 element, the thought of missing out on something.

Gumtree scammers are some of the best in the world, they hook you, offer face to face then start with sob stories and ask you to make bank transfers.
    You came here out of suspicion, go in to the bathroom, look in the mirror and ask yourself, is this a scam.
    I dont think you need us to tell you, it will be written all over your face.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • drizzy
    drizzy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    Every scam has 1 element, the thought of missing out on something.

Gumtree scammers are some of the best in the world, they hook you, offer face to face then start with sob stories and ask you to make bank transfers.
    You came here out of suspicion, go in to the bathroom, look in the mirror and ask yourself, is this a scam.
    I dont think you need us to tell you, it will be written all over your face.
    Thank you. I was actually fully sure this was a scam until he took a photo of the tickets which were only released yesterday. Now I'm in two minds. But you're right
  • caroline78
    caroline78 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Options
    He probably does have the tickets, but he has probably also sent the same message to loads of other buyers....some of whom will be stupid enough to send him the money.

Steer well clear...xx
    ;)I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY;)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1 lot of tickets , several hundred 'buyers' .

nope, not with a barge pole. in fact comtact Gumtree and let them know so they can close the scammer down before he gets away with too much.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • vax2002
    Options
    Ask for the tickets up front, if they are such a honest seller I am sure they will oblige.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • drizzy
    Options
    Thank you all very much. He's starting to appeal to my emotions by saying it's going to be an amazing gig and pushing me to do the transaction fasts adding "will need to sell to others and post in time" when there's over a week till the show, almost threatening to sell it elsewhere.

Rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for your advice.
  • vax2002
    Options
    as I said, say great, put them in the post, when they arrive and I inspect them I will send the money.
  • drizzy
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    as I said, say great, put them in the post, when they arrive and I inspect them I will send the money.
    His reply:
    "but thats unfair on me as give you face value tickets and what happens if you dont pay? i am genuine

how about then you go into a halifax and pay directly into my account?
    have a look at seatwave.com going for 200 plus the only reason i dont want to sell to the tout is they will just make the obsure amount of money off them
    let me know asap as need to resolve this tonight"
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    drizzy wrote: »
    His reply:
    "but thats unfair on me as give you face value tickets and what happens if you dont pay? i am genuine

how about then you go into a halifax and pay directly into my account?
    have a look at seatwave.com going for 200 plus the only reason i dont want to sell to the tout is they will just make the obsure amount of money off them
    let me know asap as need to resolve this tonight"

Yep that is a scammer, have you contacted Gumtree yet as there will be people daft enough to fall for this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • drizzy
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Yep that is a scammer, have you contacted Gumtree yet as there will be people daft enough to fall for this.

Yep just reported him. Almost fell for this too :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport