2nd Vehicle, NCD and pending claim

Options
Advice and comments welcome please....

I am 54, self employed and own my van which currently I use for both work and personal use. On this van Policy I have over 9 years no claims, a conviction 30 years ago and a couple of speeding fines 12-15 years ago.

In July 2010 my wife and I started the process of separation. We owned a car, which she kept as part of the deal when splitting. On 1 August 2010 I renewed the car policy, what had always been in my name on the understanding that she would sort out her own insurance from 01/08/2011.

In July 2011 she had an accident, and it transpires that the other party are attempting to claim against the policy. My "wife" has had her car repaired but now she has received a letter to the effect that as the claim is unresolved legal proceedings may follow, presumably against me !?

(I have advised my van insurer of the facts, no additional premium is being charged)

I am now considering purchasing a car from a family member for my personal use and have done quotes on websites which come out around £400-450 a year which I would find acceptable, BUT when I ring and explain honestly the circumstances the pending claim is held against me and quotes revised to around £950 !!

I do not want to be dis honest but can see why people are tempted.

As she earns more than twice what I do would it be reasonable to ask her to pay the difference, if only for the first year? We have divided our assets and drawn up and signed a separation agreement
(which solicitors warn is not legally enforceable) but are not yet divorced.

As I said I would welcome advise and comments.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It looks like the third party hold your wife responsible (or partly responsible) for the accident.

In these circs, your NCD (if unprotected) will be reduced at renewal. You can't do anything about that, however you have no choice but to disclose the claim.

There is little you can do (legally) about getting her to contribute to your next year's premium (unless you have a contract with her agreeing to pay her share of any increases she causes to your future premiums).

Maybe you are still friends and you can get her to do the decent thing???
  • warwicktiger
    warwicktiger Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    My renewal for the van was in March 2012 after I was made aware of the pending claim, no increase, but suspect it will increase if the claim is "successful".

PS, my old car insurer warned me by letter not to accept a summons which someone might try to serve on me, I do chuckle if her boyfriend gets accosted by a baliff when leaving what was our now their house, I moved out!
  • Quentin
    Options
    A summons (money claim) usually just comes through the post. If you get one, send it unanswered to your insurer.
  • Quentin
    Options
    My renewal for the van was in March 2012 after I was made aware of the pending claim, no increase, but suspect it will increase if the claim is "successful".

Not necessarily - you have disclosed the claim to them, and that is the end as far as they are concerned. Your van's NCD won't be affected whatever the outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure