Spectacles and prescriptions

My wife broke her glasses, so she went back to Boots, where she had them tested four years ago, to have a new pair made to the same presciption

The bint behind the counter told her it was illegal for them to sell her a pair of glasses on a four year old prescription, and she had to pay for a new eye test.

I don't believe this, does anyone know if this is correct, or a load of rubbish?
**** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****

Comments

• tidus
    tidus Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Incorrect, it is not "illegal" to use an old precription for spectacles. It may well be against their company policy, but that's not quite the same thing.

Usually we will do it, provided the person understands that we can't guarantee that the presciption is still 100% correct and that they are happy to go against our recommendation to have an examination in their own interests.
  • Thanks, I suspected as much. I would have guessed it was entirely up to the consumer if they want glasses on an old prescription, if those glasses are comfortable and work ok. It was just rubbish to get us to pay for another eye test she doesn't want.

I surprised at Boots coming out with such crap.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Maybe you annoyed her by calling her a "bint"?
  • Dunroamin wrote: »
    Maybe you annoyed her by calling her a "bint"?

I wasnt there at the time.

'binti' is from Arabic بنت, meaning 'daughter' :cool:
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I would have guessed it was entirely up to the consumer if they want glasses on an old prescription, if those glasses are comfortable and work ok. .

It would also be entirely acceptable for the company to refuse to this on an old prescription. If they supplied to an old one I suspect they would be liable if problems occurred later on .
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite

The "n word" comes from the Spanish for black; it doesn't mean it's acceptable to call someone it!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Was the lady arabic?

I guess you don't know that, as you weren't there at the time. ;)
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    more to the point, was the prescription the same as 4 years ago.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you don't have an eye test at least once every 2 years then an optician is legally entitled to withhold your prescription. Perhaps this is what the women meant.
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    The "n word" comes from the Spanish for black; it doesn't mean it's acceptable to call someone it!
    It also comes from the Latin 'niger' which means black
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills