Deleted Excel 2007 files by accident - Help!

Polly
Polly Posts: 898 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Was removing lots of old stuff from a memory stick and accidentally removed the file containing years and years of budgets and financial info. Went straight to the Recycle bin, sure it would be there, but nothing I deleted today is showing. Is it still there and if so, how do I find it? Thanks

Comments

• Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Do not write or attempt to write to the memory stick. Then download and use Recuva

HTH, Dave
  • Polly
    Recuva restored lots of stuff but nothing from today. Certainly was worth a try and thanks for the link. I can't understand this as I've deleted stuff before and just had to go into the recycle bin to recover it. This was a full folder with numerous Excel documents - where on earth can it be!
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    Did you do a deep scan?
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Polly
    Yes, a full scan which said it would take 41 minutes but completed sooner than that.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are browsing the recycle bin with the memory stick plugged in, aren't you?
  • Polly
    Yes, that's right. Haven't removed it since it happened as I know there will be no chance after that.
  • Simplistik
    Simplistik Posts: 67 Forumite
    This is a fairly old utility but may be worth a try, it doesn't install

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Did you make your previous searches for 'All files' or just particular file extensions?

• Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Polly wrote: »
    Recuva restored lots of stuff but nothing from today. Certainly was worth a try and thanks for the link. I can't understand this as I've deleted stuff before and just had to go into the recycle bin to recover it. This was a full folder with numerous Excel documents - where on earth can it be!

Possibly a stupid question, but you did tell Recuva to search the correct drive letter?

Reason I ask is I've just (deliberately) deleted an entire folder from a USB stick, then run Recuva on it and it found loads of files that have been deleted in the past (with varying degrees of likelihood of recovering) and it also found thoe folder/files I deleted a few minutes previously, and I was able to recover the folder and all contents.
    How do I add a signature?
  • -TangleFoot-
    -TangleFoot- Posts: 4,673 Forumite
    googler wrote: »
    You are browsing the recycle bin with the memory stick plugged in, aren't you?

If I recall correctly files deleted from removable/networked storage devices don't go to the Recycle Bin; Windows merely marks the space they occupy as 'unused' and nothing more.
  • Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    If I recall correctly files deleted from removable/networked storage devices don't go to the Recycle Bin; Windows merely marks the space they occupy as 'unused' and nothing more.

I concur. Just tried it and the message was Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?
    How do I add a signature?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport