We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

About to become a guarantor for my student son...

13»

Comments

  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    pimento wrote: »
    Thanks Voyager. I'm really hoping I will not need to use the second card at all. It really is just for contingency.

    Any recommendations for a card that won't mind me closing it a few months after opening it?

    I don't know where you live but if you are anywhere near London, or even able to come into London for a daytrip, you could open an account with Metrobank. They provide a credit card that has no charges for withdrawing money or using to buy goods. Unfortunately you can't apply on line you have to go into a branch to open an account.

    I recently opened an account with them specifically for holidays. You can open a credit card at the same time. I told them why I wanted the account and they were quite happy to open an account for that reason. I transfer my holiday savings across by SO monthly so there's always some money in there when I go away.

    Can't help with any of the other banks as the only other credit cards I know about are Nationwide (no charges in Europe but charge elsewhere) and Saga (which you need to be over 50 to have).

    Denise
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.